• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Platinum coinage

1 post in this topic

Setup:  So with platinum trailing below gold for the last 4-5 years I've been considering the whole "buy the dip" aspect lately.  Silver & gold have been stable & flat relatively so of those I've got more interest in gold as an alternative.  Ideally I'd be able to pair the precious metal with a numismatic value item rather than one of the buillion coins (including official mint items such as the Eagle, Britannia, Panda, etc...).  Doing my research to locate circulating coins minted in platinum no matter the nationality and finding it to be an uncommon item.  Most "research" thus far (only 2 days honestly) consists of wiki entries, eBay active/sold listings, World Platinum Council 2019 report on supply, demand, etc..., and a few "investment firm" articles which I take with a grain of salt.  Russia, being one of the first countries to locate the metal was also the first to actually mint circulating coins circa 1829-1845.  At some point after stopping the coins most were sold off to a British firm in 1846.  Then platinum resurfaced in proof coinage only starting around 1978.

Now, on a recent thread regarding war time silver nickels and planchet QA quality there was a remark about the metal mixture not always being exact.  This reminded me of what I read on the early Imperial Russian coins that the refinery processes weren't yet there to remove all impurities so they were labeled as "pure Ural platinum" containing traces of palladium, iridium, and other noble metals.  Now, there is a premium on these Imperial Russian platinum coins but I'm not seeing much of a stateside market so the numismatic value may have less room to appreciate.  Reliance then would be on the basis of precious metal content driving future value.  But I'm wary with the questionable metallurgical condition.  Without personal investment in the coins themselves (not an attractive design in my opinion) I figure I'd be better off just going with a bullion issue - the Royal Mint 2018 Britannia can be had for very little over spot and being the first year of issue would be one choice.  ......OR just going with some pre-33 gold coinage as it's much more interesting and carries more of a numismatic value.

Any thoughts on the subject?  I'll go back to my coffee and actual work now.  Thanks in advance!