• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1945 s war nickel

19 posts in this topic

I have a 1945 s war nickel in which i did a drop test along with my other war nickels and got a thud unlike my others does anyone know of an error coin like this. I think there is no silver in it, i hope not.

S20190415_0010.jpg

S20190415_0011.jpg

2 hours ago, Davids5104 said:

It is a silver war nickel.  Do not worry about the results of any test you perform.  35 percent silver is there

I agree.  I see nothing to indicate that the coin is not a standard 35% silver war nickel.  The look is right.

I did do a drop test as people on the internet said and it has no silver sound with dropped as my other war nickels.I do know there are other war nickels that dont have silver like the 1943 P silver 

11 minutes ago, Mohawk said:

I agree.  I see nothing to indicate that the coin is not a standard 35% silver war nickel.  The look is right.

Agreed. The coin is what appears its supposed to be. The only addition I can say is I think i recall reading an article that at the very end of 1945 they started minting nickels without silver? That could just be an acid trip I was under years ago, or actual true info but I dont know. 

10 minutes ago, naga2019 said:

I did do a drop test as people on the internet said and it has no silver sound with dropped as my other war nickels.I do know there are other war nickels that dont have silver like the 1943 P silver 

It's true that there are errors like that, but they're readily apparent by the look of the coin.  Drop tests aren't the most accurate tests.  They're no substitute for a specific gravity test or something like that.  A war nickel without silver would look like any regular old Jefferson.....on the other hand, the alloy of the war nickels gives them a very distinctive appearance, especially once they've circulated.  Your coin is definitely a coin of the copper-silver-manganese alloy.  Copper-nickel Jefferson nickels just don't look like that.

Also in my research i found out even some of the 1946 nickels have some silver because of the wrong planchet used they are out there. Some one on you tube said on Christie's coins sold a 4 P for 20k at a steel they are around and is said to be worth more rare than the 43 copper cent. You were not on acid they exists. Check out you tube for the error nickels thanks.

21 minutes ago, naga2019 said:

Also in my research i found out even some of the 1946 nickels have some silver because of the wrong planchet used they are out there. Some one on you tube said on Christie's coins sold a 4 P for 20k at a steel they are around and is said to be worth more rare than the 43 copper cent. You were not on acid they exists. Check out you tube for the error nickels thanks.

Well....I feel I have to address some things that you've said here.  First off, you are correct that there are some 1946 nickels that are struck on leftover silver planchets.  But YouTube is one of the worst places on the planet to research coins and I wouldn't accept much that someone on YouTube said unless it's one of those videos that David Hall used to do for PCGS regarding the rare coin market.  Here's a listing for a 1946 silver nickel on Heritage, a reputable auction house and website, that didn't sell:

https://coins.ha.com/itm/jefferson-nickels/1946-5c-struck-on-war-time-silver-planchet-fine-12-pcgs/a/308-6287.s

Basically, the only thing I would trust from that YouTube video is the fact that these coins exist.  The rest of it seems to be unverifiable (a word much politer than the one I'd really like to use-not directed at you though.  It's directed at the people who make these YouTube videos) based on my own research done right now after what you said.  And, please everyone, do not start checking YouTube for coin information.  It's not a reputable source.

2 hours ago, naga2019 said:

Check out blueridgesilverhound on you tube talking about transitional error war nickels

I wouldn't.  He seems to be another YouTuber who makes sensationalist videos of the type that are responsible for such gems as the 1977-D "Pac-Man" error Lincoln Cent, the $10,000 1970-S Washington Quarter and other ridiculousness that we've dealt with here.  No one should rely on that guy or others like him for accurate coin information. 

Thanks for your input, but the drop test is all i can do now and i have a ton of war nickels and this one is really different to me and others who helped me with the test. I need to go to a coin dealer who will have the proper equipment to test thanks for getting back.

5 minutes ago, naga2019 said:

Thanks for your input, but the drop test is all i can do now and i have a ton of war nickels and this one is really different to me and others who helped me with the test. I need to go to a coin dealer who will have the proper equipment to test thanks for getting back.

Though I am confident in my assessment of your coin, I do agree that a knowledgeable dealer is a great source of accurate information for coins.  I think that if you still have questions about the coin you posted, taking it to a dealer is a great path to take.  They'll be able to see your coin in person, which we cannot do here, test it out properly and let you know what they think you have.  Just stay off of YouTube regarding coins.....you'll be much better off in the long run if you do ;).  Etsy is another place to avoid like the plague regarding coins.

Yes i agree there are a lot of fools on you tube i only watch a couple of them that makes some sense and yes i will see a coin dealer to confirm what i believe to be thanks.

According to author Roger Burdette, quality control was pretty lax at the mints during the war years, including consistancy in the ratios of the different metals used in the nickels. It may be that your coin varies just enough from the standard ratio to affect the sound.

12 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

According to author Roger Burdette, quality control was pretty lax at the mints during the war years, including consistancy in the ratios of the different metals used in the nickels. It may be that your coin varies just enough from the standard ratio to affect the sound.

That's a very good point Bob, and I remembered reading it but I couldn't cite the source so I didn't say so at the time.  But you jogged my memory and if Roger said it, it's definitely true.  Roger is a killer researcher and author!

Planchets at are internally flawed (laminations) may not ring like they normally would, These are referred to as "dumb" or "mute" planchets.  The composition can be perfectly fine, but drop them and they go "thud".