• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1965 Mexican Coin Mule?

5 posts in this topic

Hello All, 

I was looking to submit some Mexican coins and I wanted some help deciding if I should use Variety or standard grading. 

I have this 1965 25 centavos that have a possible die shift on the reverse Letter "A", and I was wondering if this was considered a Mule? IMG_20190403_205726.thumb.jpg.9b915e0d462b7d3e1412057160b13164.jpg

IMG_20190403_205801.jpg

A mule is a coin struck using two dies that were not intended to be used together.  I can't tell if the A is showing machine doubling or something else.  Since i don't see doubling elsewhere I doubt it is a doubled die, I also doubt they were doing individual letter repunching, so most likely it is machine doubling.

17 minutes ago, Conder101 said:

A mule is a coin struck using two dies that were not intended to be used together.  I can't tell if the A is showing machine doubling or something else.  Since i don't see doubling elsewhere I doubt it is a doubled die, I also doubt they were doing individual letter repunching, so most likely it is machine doubling.

Thank you for the information about what are mules. confirms my initial thoughts about the A.

Doesn’t look like a double die , I happen to collect world coins as well . Nice coin you have . Double die variety is mostly for US coins , even if you send it in for grading they won’t recognize the Double die for world coins ... their variety tier is mostly for “well known” coins that are easy to distinguish as a double die like 1955 Lincoln cent double die or 1972 double die Lincoln cent ... however! ANACS grading company is great for sending in die variety or coin strike problems during minting ANACS has a huge data base for odd end die varieties that one thing I love about ANACS ! Again that mostly US coins