• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Roosevelt Newps. Stars, and a FT.

13 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, Six Mile Rick said:

Very Nice!! 

I don't see any artificial toning there Bipolar. They are all three nice looking album toned Roosies.

I see what Pete's saying though.....the toning on the 1960 does look like it was caused by tape.  Maybe it was at the end of a roll that was taped for many years.  I'd say that situation would allow for natural toning that tape played a role in.  And maybe it's just the appearance that the toning took. 

23 hours ago, BipolarBaby said:

hmmm if im not mistaken, use of tape is artificial toning, no? The 1960 ms66* shows a prime example of toning due to tape. 

I don't believe so; but, I understand why you would have drawn that conclusion.  The horizontal lines that you see on the reverse of the '60, are also faint, yet fewer, and found on the obverse.  The lines were more than likely from the underside of a coin folder, perhaps textured to a degree.  There may have been a paper sleeve, that folded over top, such as your Whitman tri-folds?  These two coins, along with the other Roosie's that were submitted with this batch, all have the one sided toning, beautiful obverse toning.  Look at the NGC images for these two coins I have with matching order #'s.  I have the 001, and 003 in this batch.  I did run the 002, 004, 005 at MS66 and was lucky to see all the others- same toning, more than likely from same album/source.  I'd love to have those too....     

That 1957 coin is a nice one.  Congrat's!

I hope you don't mind me showing my 57P coin:

1957%20NGC%2067%20Dime%20Combo%20Lg.jpg

1957%20NGC%2067%20Dime%20Slab%20Combo.jp

2 hours ago, PocketArt said:

I don't believe so; but, I understand why you would have drawn that conclusion.  The horizontal lines that you see on the reverse of the '60, are also faint, yet fewer, and found on the obverse.  The lines were more than likely from the underside of a coin folder, perhaps textured to a degree.  There may have been a paper sleeve, that folded over top, such as your Whitman tri-folds?  These two coins, along with the other Roosie's that were submitted with this batch, all have the one sided toning, beautiful obverse toning.  Look at the NGC images for these two coins I have with matching order #'s.  I have the 001, and 003 in this batch.  I did run the 002, 004, 005 at MS66 and was lucky to see all the others- same toning, more than likely from same album/source.  I'd love to have those too....     

That line of thought makes a lot of sense in regard to theorizing how the toning came to be and how it has the appearance that it does.  It's interesting to contemplate a coin's history and how it may have come to have the appearance it does, though with what I'm collecting lately, that history is much longer than what's being discussed here :) 

That is SEXXXXXXY

27 minutes ago, leeg said:

2 hours ago, PocketArt said:

That maybe true, but people switch coins in and out of albums all the time. I am only suggesting that the coin appears to have been toned due to being taped. I will not change my conclusion of that until proven else wise, as we all have our opinions. I hope an NGC contact can hop in here and confirm whether or not that is tone due to tape but I think they cannot even prove that. I cannot prove it, but in my years of seeing toned coins, that shows all the signs and characteristics of being toned by tape, to me which is fine, I am not taking away from the tone at all. I infact, like AT coins and NT coins depending on how well they look. In this particular case, i will again, stand by my conclusion until proven else wise. Nice coin none the less and I dont think the AT factor should play into affect of the coin value.

27 minutes ago, leeg said:

18 hours ago, leeg said:

That is a nice looking 1957, but the reverse has all that black spotting on it.  Was that stored on a bathroom shelf since 1957?  You know, daily showers with humidity & mildew?

The dimes are a lot of fun!! I hooked up with so many dime collectors over the years that my complete dime set ended up cost free. :)

Buying, Selling, and Trading --- This set is now 100% cost free^^

https://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/SetListing.aspx?PeopleSetID=218771

Now I just need to work on pics this year and add some more.