• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mint peace silver dollar

9 posts in this topic

From the photo, all one can say is that if genuine, it's worth the going rate for worn common issue Peace dollars (around $20 retail). For any sort of worthwhile opinion, we need both sides, blown up, and ideally out of the plastic (which clearly is not mint packaging). Whether it's worth it is up to you.

It seems to have a decent basic obverse strike, so the flattening on high points looks like wear rather than strike weakness. The plastic distorts the color and surface, but wouldn't shock me if it were cleaned, bagged by some vendor or TV channel in plastic to make it look important, and sold by mail or on TV for "only $39.99! Strict limit of five per caller!"

10 minutes ago, JKK said:

From the photo, all one can say is that if genuine, it's worth the going rate for worn common issue Peace dollars (around $20 retail). For any sort of worthwhile opinion, we need both sides, blown up, and ideally out of the plastic (which clearly is not mint packaging). Whether it's worth it is up to you.

It seems to have a decent basic obverse strike, so the flattening on high points looks like wear rather than strike weakness. The plastic distorts the color and surface, but wouldn't shock me if it were cleaned, bagged by some vendor or TV channel in plastic to make it look important, and sold by mail or on TV for "only $39.99! Strict limit of five per caller!"

I added a new picture and I bought it for $10 as cull

36 minutes ago, W02Q Coins said:

I added a new picture and I bought it for $10 as cull

$10 is below melt so that was a good deal. It's worn and I suspect cleaned (otherwise I hardly see a good reason for someone to sell it as a cull below melt).

41 minutes ago, JKK said:

$10 is below melt so that was a good deal. It's worn and I suspect cleaned (otherwise I hardly see a good reason for someone to sell it as a cull below melt).

I think it's cleaned also.  It has that look.

its amazing how bad people try to clean their coins. Like who the ruined that coin? Id like to know... Ruined a perfectly nice peace dollar. 

Edited by BipolarBaby

13 hours ago, JKK said:

$10 is below melt so that was a good deal

Depends on when he bought it.  I used to buy MS Morgans for $10.  It wasn't a "great deal" it was just the going rate at the time.  Silver was about $2 an oz at the time.

6 hours ago, Conder101 said:

Depends on when he bought it.  I used to buy MS Morgans for $10.  It wasn't a "great deal" it was just the going rate at the time.  Silver was about $2 an oz at the time.

From the way he was describing it, it seemed relatively safe to assume that it was pretty likely that he had most probably bought it sometime fairly recently. But yes, sure; if he bought it in, say, 1974 or 1944, I suppose that would then change the assumptions, yes.