• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1831 Half Dime ?s

15 posts in this topic

I found this beautiful half dime in my dad's laundry mat at homestead air force base in 1977. I would go there in the evenings after highschool football practice for a few hours almost every night and close out. During close out I would collect all the change from the machines and bill's from the change machine over the three year period in highschool. He would let me keep all the silver and silver certificates I found and feed me all the pizza I wanted from Domino's right down the street... Anyways here are some pics of the coin which seems to have a few errors on it like a die clash on the obverse and a die crack running through the 5C. And a die crack on the left wing and above the date.. But the 5 looks a bit funny with a short section on the top..  Does this coin have any varieties associated with it???

20190411_164155.jpg

20190411_164132.jpg

20190411_164241.jpg

20190411_164318.jpg

20190411_164359.jpg

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I'll let you have the fun of matching it up to NGC's VarietyPlus website for Early Half Dimes. The 1831s start just over half way down:

https://www.ngccoin.com/variety-plus/united-states/half-dimes/early-half-dimes-1792-1837/

This one is pretty easy to identify.  I'll let you follow David's suggestion to examine the the listing in varity plus.  Pay attention to the positions of the letters in PLURIBUS compared to the letters in STATES.  If you can't figure it out, I'll give you some more hints.

8 hours ago, DWLange said:

I'll let you have the fun of matching it up to NGC's VarietyPlus website for Early Half Dimes. The 1831s start just over half way down:

https://www.ngccoin.com/variety-plus/united-states/half-dimes/early-half-dimes-1792-1837/

Cool DW... I match it up with a 1831 LM-6 H10C MS. That seem correct? It looks like a AU coin also????

5 hours ago, Conder101 said:

This one is pretty easy to identify.  I'll let you follow David's suggestion to examine the the listing in varity plus.  Pay attention to the positions of the letters in PLURIBUS compared to the letters in STATES.  If you can't figure it out, I'll give you some more hints.

I think I found which one Conder..

1 hour ago, errorist said:

OOPS LM-6

(thumbsu

When attributing Bust Half Dollars, I (and many, if not most, others) use the T-I relationship to narrow down the choices. ( That is, the "T" in "States," and the "I" in "Pluribus.") On these little guys, it is the A-I relationship. Attributing die marriages is one of the things that I really enjoy doing.

10 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

(thumbsu

When attributing Bust Half Dollars, I (and many, if not most, others) use the T-I relationship to narrow down the choices. ( That is, the "T" in "States," and the "I" in "Pluribus.") On these little guys, it is the A-I relationship. Attributing die marriages is one of the things that I really enjoy doing.

Cool so what grade you think it is??

27 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

Hard to tell from the pics, but it looks XF-AU, with a possible old cleaning. 

There very many of that variety??