• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The same image appears on on both sides of the coin looks like 3 small leaves.

9 posts in this topic

I believe what you have is a die clash, where the two dies came together without a planchet between them. Part of the design of each  was transferred to the other die. What appears to be leaves on the back of the neck are actually the tips of the eagle's feathers. The "leaves" on the  reverse must be part of the motto, if I am looking at it correctly. From the die polish lines, it must have been worse than that after it happened, and the worker did the best he/she could to restore it to normal without removing too much of the design.

2 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

I believe what you have is a die clash, where the two dies came together without a planchet between them. Part of the design of each  was transferred to the other die. What appears to be leaves on the back of the neck are actually the tips of the eagle's feathers. The "leaves" on the  reverse must be part of the motto, if I am looking at it correctly. From the die polish lines, it must have been worse than that after it happened, and the worker did the best he/she could to restore it to normal without removing too much of the design.

I think you're right on there Bob.  A die clash would definitely explain what we're seeing with that half. 

3 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

Ok thanks for the info it’s much appreciated. 

I appreciate the info. I’m new to collecting coins and I’m looking for some errors here and there. I have a really nice die clash I will post a picture so you can take a look. Are they worth anything?E5E36E49-F0E4-40A5-ABA7-0DF9ABCEACAC.thumb.jpeg.d93159ea0b88824ceccd544d00e66b4d.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Thrasher said:

Are they worth anything?

That depends on several factors. Even the rarest of coins is not worth much if no one wants it, so a coin must usually be in demand to bring a high ( and that is a relative term) price. Demand can be fueled by several factors,  including condition,  desirability, availability, and popularity. And, if the variety is recognized by the major grading companies, that increases demand. Getting listed in the Redbook practically guarantees that it brings a premium. A perfect example is the 1955 Franklin half dollar with a clash on the obverse that makes it appear that Ben has buck teeth - the famous "Bugs Bunny" half dollar.