• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Damaged Morgan Dollar

23 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, dleonard-3 said:

The beginnings of a "love token" perhaps?

That was my first thought as well.  Maybe the love ended before the engraving got too far.........

Not likely a love token.  Frist step on those is typically to plane or grind the whole side (or at least the whole area inside the rim) flat and smooth.  You don't engrave first and grind away the details afterward.

3 hours ago, Conder101 said:

Not likely a love token.  Frist step on those is typically to plane or grind the whole side (or at least the whole area inside the rim) flat and smooth.  You don't engrave first and grind away the details afterward.

Yeah I agree what that assessment too.

Looks like giphy.gif 

4 hours ago, Travis Hale said:

What kind of pot do you smoke dude?

Maybe it would be helpful if, instead of just posting pictures,  making cryptic comments, and asking indecipherable questions, you could engage in clear and meaningful dialogue.

Edited by Just Bob
Typo

6 hours ago, Travis Hale said:

I did that one for Mohawk.... just an inside joke he posted the other day

What are you even talking about Travis?  I'm really confused here......I don't think you and I have ever shared an inside joke and I highly doubt that we ever will.....and I certainly do not recall discussing pot smoking here on the boards.

Edited by Mohawk

6 hours ago, Just Bob said:

Maybe it would be helpful if, instead of just posting pictures,  making cryptic comments, and asking indecipherable questions, you could engage in clear and meaningful dialogue.

Agreed 100% there.  Apparently I'm sharing inside jokes with him now, Bob.  I'm getting more confused by Mr. Hale and his comments all the time.

Travis sir, you are incorrigible. Instead of arguing with the experts, why not listen to what their saying and learn something? I have learned quite a bit by asking questions on here and everyone has been really helpful. I feel like when someone on this board tries to help you, you simply dont want to hear the truth. I am not, by any means trying to pick on you. I just keep seeing your posts and I am trying to help here. 

Bipolar baby, 

i never argued, but there seems to be a mint error bias here & automatically thd coin is dismissed. If that werent true youd understand my responses to those who have the greater responsibility to instruct & not tell them to destruck. Every question ive had on error coins here have been down played while i have other lifers in the field telling me different. I dont hold pride, i just want an accurate answer & the error varriety community is groing finally & many of the old ways of thinking are being dismissed. I guess, if you treat me & my coin concerns as a joke, then how serious are you for the little guy, such as the kids coming up. Take me seriously & i you. I work with the same equipment you guys do basically, so either give an explanation with your answer otherwise your just like all those who claimed no more ‘43 variations exist whatsoever. Do you get it Mohack.

17 hours ago, Travis Hale said:

Bipolar baby, 

i never argued, but there seems to be a mint error bias here & automatically thd coin is dismissed. If that werent true youd understand my responses to those who have the greater responsibility to instruct & not tell them to destruck. Every question ive had on error coins here have been down played while i have other lifers in the field telling me different. I dont hold pride, i just want an accurate answer & the error varriety community is groing finally & many of the old ways of thinking are being dismissed. I guess, if you treat me & my coin concerns as a joke, then how serious are you for the little guy, such as the kids coming up. Take me seriously & i you. I work with the same equipment you guys do basically, so either give an explanation with your answer otherwise your just like all those who claimed no more ‘43 variations exist whatsoever. Do you get it Mohack.

Travis.....

You have argued consistently with us on here, so that's an inaccurate statement.  You have consistently posted pictures of damaged, polished, cleaned or otherwise abused coins and asked for information about them.  When you have received the correct information that the coins you have posted are damaged, polished, cleaned or otherwise abused, you have gotten combative to the point of being verbally abusive or you have posted these very strange statements or weird pictures or a combination of the two.  I can say for myself that I haven't set out to treat your coin inquiries as a joke, but I also haven't set out to lie to you just to tell you what you want to hear.  I've endeavored with you, as I do with everyone I respond to on here with a question, to tell you the truth of the situation to the best of my ability based on 20 years of continued experience in this hobby, which includes not just collecting coins but selling them on my own and working in a brick and mortar coin shop.  The problem here, Travis, is you.  You come on here with an idea already set in your head about what you have, and there is no swaying you from that course, no matter how incorrect it is and no matter how many experienced people have told you the same exact thing.  There are people on here who have worked for big auction houses like Heritage and who have worked as graders for NGC and PCGS.  There are people here with 50 years of numismatic experience.  There is a ton of experience here for someone who wants to learn.  But, Travis, you don't appear to want to learn.  You're the one who dismisses us, not the other way around.  You've been so stubborn, entrenched in your own ignorance, strange, unpleasant and abusive, that none of us want to help you anymore.  If you're a joke on these boards, it's because of how you act on here.  You've put yourself in that position through your own actions, not the other way around.  Your experience here has been what it is because of you and your actions and for no other reason. 

You claim to post error coins, but I cannot honestly remember you ever posting an actual error.  You've posted picture after picture of problem coins.  There isn't a mint error bias here, as you claim.  However, this also isn't a community where we're going to coddle you, lie to you and tell you that your damaged, cleaned and otherwise garbage coins are anything but what they are.  If someone posts a true error, we tell that person what we can about them.  I myself have talked with people in the past couple of days that have posted true errors, namely a 2007-S Jefferson Dollar with a pretty good die crack and someone else who found a 1972 FS-102 Doubled Die Obverse Lincoln Cent.  Unlike what you've posted, these were true error coins and the people who posted them actually wanted help and listened to us when we shared knowledge and information.  Travis, it's time for a reality check.  A very blunt one.  Based on what you've posted on here and your assessments of the coins, you're a terrible numismatist.  You're one of the worst I've ever seen, if not the very worst.  You have no eye whatsoever and you have no ability to assess coins at all.  Anyone who tells you otherwise is lying to you for some reason or they're just as unskilled and uninformed about this hobby as you are.  Worse yet, you are unwilling to try to do anything to change it.  You are unwilling to learn.  You are unwilling to listen to anyone who tells you this essential truth and, because of it, you are doomed in this hobby.  You keep going like you are, and you're going to lose an unbelievable amount of money.  You can call me Mohack all you want, but I'm not the one who keeps posting garbage coins as supposed errors, some of which are flat out impossible.  I'm not the one spending money on this garbage.  I'm not the one throwing tantrums on an online forum when someone calls my garbage coins garbage.  I'm not the one posting weird, cryptic photos and saying bizarre things.  In short, I'm not the hack.  You are.  And that's it.  I'm done with you, as we all should be.  Please just take your garbage coins and go somewhere else, Travis.  You're not worth the continued trouble or aggravation for any of us.

Edited by Mohawk
Typo