• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 SMS&1982D Small Date Lincoln Cent

23 posts in this topic

A picture of the obverse that isn't upside down would be very helpful here.  Upside down photos are anything but helpful.

The 1964 is 1out of a 6 coin mint set I recieved from my grandfather over 20 years ago not exactly sure how long he had it in his collection I will post a picture of the complete set once I get parked!

Thanks for the revised pics.  That is very helpful and I do appreciate it!  Let's see here......the 1964 looks like a regular 1964 cent, though in a decent state of preservation.  1964 cents (and really any 1964 dated US coin) are extremely common, even in higher grades.  I'd say that one's a spender value-wise.  The 1982-D is indeed a Small Date.  If you are wondering if it's the 1982-D Small Date Copper, you'll need to weigh it.  A copper cent is 3.1 grams and a zinc cent is 2.5.  If your 1982-D Small Date is copper, you indeed have a rare coin.  If it's zinc, it's another spender.

I hope this helps!

~Tom

Thank you! It's Only recently that I began to research some of my small collection so yes I have literally put it on a scale 2 days ago which displayed 3.1 and the reason I lean hard towards the 64 being a true SMS is because of this...

Screenshot_20190403-085205_Gallery.jpg

That packaging does not indicate that the coins are SMS coins.  It's a privately assembled set of regular circulation coins.  That packaging is not a product of the US Mint.  There's some discussion of the 1964 SMS coins here:

https://www.ngccoin.com/boards/topic/415710-1964-sms-nickel/

Thanks I'm very aware of the topic & discussion amongst the SMS set & as many numismatic enthusiast have sang the same song about privately assembled yes indeed you are exactly right if you would just ponder for a brief moment our lovely director at the time there of Mrs.Eva Adams "Privately Assembled" sets as the one In my small but very unique collection  I may be a Novice Numismatic Enthusiasts  but with Knowledge and a unique small collection that's why I love the hobby just as some prefer golf the beauty of coinage the craftsmanship the research and absolutely the history behind its existant is a wonderful world full of opportunities and discoveries to all that is will to embrace it! By the way if you would have actually embraced the set in which I've shown one will find that there is a Pat# now that I have your attention take that patent # and simply follow the trail.....Now in between time also name a set that you have seen as mine Have you seen another?? In fact if anyone has than why haven't they been revealed?? No one Privately Assembles Just 1 also the morgan is a BMP! Thanks everyone 

Mohawk (Tom?), I will do my best to lend a helping hand so you do not have to go at this one alone. It appears he believes he also has a branch mint proof Morgan. 

Mason254, although your coins appear to be uncirculated they are not SMS coins. The Morgan dollar is not a branch mint proof. This set is not unique nor is it rare. It was likely a marketing ploy to trick uneducated people into paying exorbitant prices for average coins. Sets like these are common and beyond the Morgan dollar would most likely be sold for the silver content. As proof, here is an example just like yours with a different date/mintmark Morgan dollar in it. 

A0F1EBDB-FA70-4750-9EEA-42AE2D4DE65C.thumb.png.04e2dd6eed8a8c61d01ff4bd2068c051.png

Edited by coinsandmedals
Spelling

48 minutes ago, Mason254 said:

Thanks I'm very aware of the topic & discussion amongst the SMS set & as many numismatic enthusiast have sang the same song about privately assembled yes indeed you are exactly right if you would just ponder for a brief moment our lovely director at the time there of Mrs.Eva Adams "Privately Assembled" sets as the one In my small but very unique collection  I may be a Novice Numismatic Enthusiasts  but with Knowledge and a unique small collection that's why I love the hobby just as some prefer golf the beauty of coinage the craftsmanship the research and absolutely the history behind its existant is a wonderful world full of opportunities and discoveries to all that is will to embrace it! By the way if you would have actually embraced the set in which I've shown one will find that there is a Pat# now that I have your attention take that patent # and simply follow the trail.....Now in between time also name a set that you have seen as mine Have you seen another?? In fact if anyone has than why haven't they been revealed?? No one Privately Assembles Just 1 also the morgan is a BMP! Thanks everyone 

coinsandmedals has it just right.  Your coins are not at all what you are claiming and at one time there were many different sets assembled in those holders.  He showed an example with a different Morgan, also nothing unusual, in it.  Many of these privately assembled sets have been broken up over the years to retrieve the coins for different purposes, but they aren't valuable.  I have in fact seen several other sets of this type when I worked at a brick and mortar shop, always with 1964 business strikes and a different common date of Morgan Dollar included except for one that I saw with a 1923 Peace Dollar  .  We sold these sets for melt value plus whatever small premium the common date Morgan or Peace in the one instance commanded.  You may not like this answer, but it is the truth and the truth is not always what we want it to be.  And thanks to coinsandmedals for jumping in and helping out with this one!!

Edited by Mohawk

Yep my smart phone is not so smart spell check auto punctuation must be disabled 🤣yep let it go like you did all that silver those little case you emptied during skyrocket silver prices you might want to see if you can find those old case around anywhere so that you can assemble those O so common sets Silver is about to go up!!i mean why have to build  there so common right???As I said I'd love to have another guide me to the most common place to purchase I'll buy it!! Im the loose change here though however i am not the one making statements about how common something is but have no evidence of it a common item is always available where the availability??common sence Thanks you guys! Yep I've seen that however that's the only one anyone can say they have seen! Nothing like mine and thanks for acknowledging that simple word simple letters strong impacts like mine but with a different date morgan Exactly not at all ! See the quick responses without knowledge beyond what you see is very important attention to detail can you show me a branch mint 1885 O Morgan? The importance of the 1885 O Morgan is what is unique!!Its just  History Guys! Research! I'd rather have seen the actual 1964 Kennedy Dollar which was the expected coin of choice However thanks guys like I said I'm new to this but not new to my collection Key! 

Edited by Mason254

13 hours ago, coinsandmedals said:

I agree this guy is beyond help. Where do these people come from? The funniest part about it is that it would literally be no trouble at all to build one of these sets in the exact same holder with the 1885 O Morgan dollar. We literally had dozens of these exact same holders (some with 1885 O Morgans) laying around when silver last skyrocketed. I should see if we still have the empty holders. Maybe he would like to add some more to his “unique” collection. 

Yep, I agree completely.  We said our piece, tried to help to no avail.  Enough of our time has been spent on this one.

On 4/10/2019 at 11:15 PM, coinsandmedals said:

I agree this guy is beyond help. Where do these people come from? The funniest part about it is that it would literally be no trouble at all to build one of these sets in the exact same holder with the 1885 O Morgan dollar. We literally had dozens of these exact same holders (some with 1885 O Morgans) laying around when silver last skyrocketed. I should see if we still have the empty holders. Maybe he would like to add some more to his “unique” collection. 

The funniest part about it is literally it must be some trouble to build one of these sets with the same exact holder???hmmm haven't seen anyone including yourself whom made the statement No Trouble Same Exact Holder😂 instead all of you keep finding that same picture which is uniquely odd indeed!How is it all of you make these statements and provide the exact same picture as one another how's that happening for such a common item?If common the availability should be endless right??🤔 not all of you finding the one and not to mention the same Ebay photo as you all have?🤔 Will someone anyone please give me an explanation for that??

1 hour ago, Mason254 said:

The funniest part about it is literally it must be some trouble to build one of these sets with the same exact holder???

Yes it would be difficult to do so. that is a very old holder, the exact style probably having been discontinued almost 50 years ago.  Hard to locate 50 year old holders, most of them were discarded decades ago.  The coins on the other hand are readily available.

18 minutes ago, Conder101 said:

Yes it would be difficult to do so. that is a very old holder, the exact style probably having been discontinued almost 50 years ago.  Hard to locate 50 year old holders, most of them were discarded decades ago.  The coins on the other hand are readily available.

Thanks Conder101! I appreciate Your positive input and information on this topic! I know I can be argumentative especially when someone cannot support their claim! That was my reasoning in making the statement to coinsandmedals about the funniest part of it being literally no trouble at all to build the exact same set with including exactly same holder! If you recall back when I first asked about my set I posted the patent number on the ball snap case holder researched it  for countless hours which revealed Ms.Eva is a relative of whom the patent number belongs to not that it means anything but it was very interesting to me! So when mr.coinsandmedals made that statement of being literally no trouble all I could do was shake my head and as far as diagnostics for the Kennedy there has been one attributed without the small metal tear drop below the 4 I also did a side by side comparison of the Lincoln that HA has on its site along with the others and see no difference between the ones I own and the ones they display! Since nobody has been able to produce none other than the same ebay I believe it is time to send my set in!

On 9/18/2019 at 12:10 PM, VKurtB said:

I realize it’s only September but I’m pretty sure we have a serious contender for “Clueless Foole of the Year” here. Wear it proud, say it loud, Mason. 

Will do! VKurtB! So grab your finest Skirt & get ready!

Hey Mason,

Have you figured out yet why nobody else on here believes what you're saying??? It's because of this guy, and the TV ad tagline for the company he represents:

Burke_multiline_homepage_image.jpg

"We know a few things because we've seen a few things."

Edited by VKurtB