• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this possibly a wrong metal/wrong planchet Nickel or just an Improper Mix?

11 posts in this topic

Ok fellows, here we go...again. So I  have this 1985 S Nickel Proof with a copper looking ring that goes all the way around the edge. Just please tell me what it is? These other guys are about to get my hopes all up and I  really don't  wanna waste the money to send it in only to look like a fool who lost however much it costs to send one in. You know? Y'all know how I  am about hurt feelings so imagine if my ego got scared. Right? So here's  my picture. Let me know please? Thanks.20190408_041604-COLLAGE.thumb.jpg.60abe014819543f1bd8a6ae72b7c3566.jpg

It might be residue from a holder it was in. Right near the top of your photo it appears to thin to almost nothing. If were a clad it would be in the center and pretty even all the way around. Also there were no clad nickel planchets and it is definately not struck on a quarter or dime.

5 minutes ago, asdfgh said:

It might be residue from a holder it was in. Right near the top of your photo it appears to thin to almost nothing. If were a clad it would be in the center and pretty even all the way around. Also there were no clad nickel planchets and it is definately not struck on a quarter or dime.

But how can I know that it wasn't struck on a Quarter or Half Dollar like with the 1987 Nickels?

I suspect that you are hoping that this nickel was struck on a planchet that was mistakenly cut from quarter stock. It certainly has that look, but I don't think you should trust this one to people who are viewing pictures of it over the internet. I suggest taking it to a trusted dealer who can look at it in hand. 

Asdfgh may be right about it just being residue, but another set of experienced eyes are probably your best bet.

6 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

I suspect that you are hoping that this nickel was struck on a planchet that was mistakenly cut from quarter stock. It certainly has that look, but I don't think you should trust this one to people who are viewing pictures of it over the internet. I suggest taking it to a trusted dealer who can look at it in hand. 

Asdfgh may be right about it just being residue, but another set of experienced eyes are probably your best bet.

I agree with Bob's assessment as well Karen.  I think an experienced dealer needs to check this one out in person. 

2 hours ago, KarenHolcomb said:

Ok fellows, here we go...again. So I  have this 1985 S Nickel Proof with a copper looking ring that goes all the way around the edge. Just please tell me what it is? These other guys are about to get my hopes all up and I  really don't  wanna waste the money to send it in only to look like a fool who lost however much it costs to send one in. You know? Y'all know how I  am about hurt feelings so imagine if my ego got scared. Right? So here's  my picture. Let me know please? Thanks.20190408_041604-COLLAGE.thumb.jpg.60abe014819543f1bd8a6ae72b7c3566.jpg

Hello community, and Hello Karen, missed ya, looks like an improperly anealed error to me. I'm not 100% but in any case Nice! Nice! Jefferson and really nice to see you on. I Picked this up the other day. Really, Sincerely' Capone1929

15548712383433237375598396843940.jpg

15548713137126726677274016806148.jpg

9 minutes ago, Capone1929 said:

Hello community, and Hello Karen, missed ya, looks like an improperly anealed error to me. I'm not 100% but in any case Nice! Nice! Jefferson and really nice to see you on. I Picked this up the other day. Really, Sincerely' Capone1929

Also looks like A proof PF very much so plus MS+++++ and Cameo/Deepcameo 85' jefferson, Better Date low pop beauty, looks like a PF San Francisco mint error to me (improperly anealed/ or lamination error, but leaning more towards anealed error! Very Cool coin! Superb!

13 hours ago, Capone1929 said:

That is a beauty Capone.  It is nice to hear from you also.

12 hours ago, Capone1929 said:

Also looks like A proof PF very much so plus MS+++++ and Cameo/Deepcameo 85' jefferson, Better Date low pop beauty, looks like a PF San Francisco mint error to me (improperly anealed/ or lamination error, but leaning more towards anealed error! Very Cool coin! Superb!

I too found a sweet Franklin. It is a proof but no  toning.  I would love to have a nicely toned coin of any denomination.  But hey, with the right colors around I make them look real good. Lol

WIN_20190330_03_01_14_Pro.jpg

WIN_20190330_03_04_13_Pro.jpg

Thanks Fellows. Most people have said an Improper Alloy Mix or I even heard sandpaper from one guy, but the 2 cats that were talking wrong metal sure gave a great argument for it and they sucked  me right in. I knew better, I  suppose. That's  why  I  came here with it. There's  really not any good shops near me o I  will put it with all my other potential million dollar coins and maybe one day it,  and the rest,  will be held by hand other than my own. You know, it's  weird and I  like weird so regardless it is a keeper. Btw, in the same mailing there was also an 87 like it but the ring was not as wide.