• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Aren't all coins straight from the Mint perfect?

21 posts in this topic

Just now, MAULEMALL said:

Minted as is, yes they are all perfect. If the fingerprint was on the planchet prior to minting I would say you would have a winner.

Thank you any gained wisdom in the hobby is great, I will remember this.

2 minutes ago, Capone1929 said:

Thank you any gained wisdom in the hobby is great, I will remember this.

I was looking at a Morgan at A local b&m and it was a NGC64 that had planchet striations all the way from top to bottom on the reverse but the eagle was really well struck... Meaning the planchet was scarred prior to striking. 

It was a very cool effect and regret not getting it....

2 minutes ago, MAULEMALL said:

Minted as is, yes they are all perfect. If the fingerprint was on the planchet prior to minting I would say you would have a winner.

Ya know, I had to pull out the loupe and check on that since you mentioned it.:grin:  The ridge lines are on top of devices and down in the fields but don't break the line of progress or shift (the columns is the best part to view).  So my guess would be the oils from the print came after the mint had struck the planchet.

This scope isn't the best for pictures but here's a close shot.

S20190409_0001.jpg

9 minutes ago, CRAWTOMATIC said:

Ya know, I had to pull out the loupe and check on that since you mentioned it.:grin:  The ridge lines are on top of devices and down in the fields but don't break the line of progress or shift (the columns is the best part to view).  So my guess would be the oils from the print came after the mint had struck the planchet.

This scope isn't the best for pictures but here's a close shot.

S20190409_0001.jpg

I use a 16x loop loup

Just now, Capone1929 said:

Whitman

Yeah that is a very nice lincoln oils from print just like struck through grease or greased die! Very cool, Thank you for sharing your insight.

6 minutes ago, Capone1929 said:

Yeah that is a very nice lincoln oils from print just like struck through grease or greased die! Very cool, Thank you for sharing your insight.

Am I correct as in the clash pre n post pre or post strike? Yes? No? I see it is sealed in appears to be original "Celo" proof like / BU MS plus+? Definitely uncirculated, no doubt. Choice choice plus plus and so on? ? ?

10 minutes ago, Capone1929 said:

Am I correct as in the clash pre n post pre or post strike? Yes? No? I see it is sealed in appears to be original "Celo" proof like / BU MS plus+? Definitely uncirculated, no doubt. Choice choice plus plus and so on? ? ?

Yep, still in mint cello.  Here's the obverse.  I'd say average or better strike with moderate marks or hairlines.

P1040043.JPG

1 minute ago, CRAWTOMATIC said:

Yep, still in mint cello.  Here's the obverse.  I'd say average or better strike with moderate marks or hairlines.

P1040043.JPG

Nice key date or better year for sure, a blazer

22 hours ago, Capone1929 said:

Nice key date or better year for sure, a blazer

Not really Capone.  1972-S cents are extremely common.  I still see them in my change somewhat regularly, though not as often as Philly and Denver coins. And with that fingerprint, the coin is worth a cent, even in the cello.  I've purchased 1979-S Type 2 Proof Sets which have had fingerprints on the cent.  I broke the sets up and threw the cents out in circulation.  This is something which appears to have been something of an issue at the San Francisco Mint in the 1970's, from what I've seen.

Just to follow-up, I was being facetious regarding the premium.  The coin itself is nothing special, IMO, and I've passed by it in a jar many times over.  It happened to pop out the other night and my kids and I had a great laugh about "Dirty Bob" at the US Mint fat fingering all the pennies for packaging so I thought I'd share.  The title is in response to all the comments we've seen on the interwebs, "BUT I just don't understand how it's not perfect if it's in the original packaging???"  :grin:

@MAULEMALL's comment regarding the print on the planchet vs post-strike did pique my interest in the coin some but nothing beyond that.  Turns out there was a discussion on cointalk forums circa 2002 or so about a half dollar with the same predicament but that's where my digging stopped.

How strange that folks are talking about '72-S cents. I bought a candy bar recently and my change included a couple spankin new '72-S pennies. I asked the cashier where she got them and she had a half roll more. I bought them all, gave a few away and threw the rest in my mint set junk jar. I suggest they are MS 63 red.