• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NGC Celebrates First 'W' Mint Mark Quarters

18 posts in this topic

• Administrator

A special NGC attribution and label are among the ways coin collectors can recognize these historic US Mint releases. Special submission instructions must be followed. See the "Submission Instructions" section of this article.  Click Here to Read More

PCGS is giving a $5000 check to the first pcgs certified W quarter. These are going to be hard to find. They already have guys ats buying $500 boxes to search. 

6 hours ago, bsshog40 said:

PCGS is giving a $5000 check to the first pcgs certified W quarter. These are going to be hard to find. They already have guys ats buying $500 boxes to search. 

Wow....that is ridiculous!  I think that there is going to be a lot of ridiculousness surrounding these.  If I find one, I find one but I know I won't be the first one and I'd have to sign up for PCGS to certify the thing anyway.  $5000 is a good incentive, don't get me wrong, but I'm not going to get all hyped up on something I know I won't win.  It would be cool to find one to flip, though.  Might help me get another Faustina the Younger denarius or maybe my first Lucilla denarius :)   Good luck everyone!!

Edited by Mohawk

Looks like some have turned up in Tennessee based on these eBay auctions I found in researching pricing on these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2019-W-Lowell-National-Park-Quarter-Great-American-Coin-Hunt-WQUARTER/143207295242?hash=item2157d1e90a:g:ulEAAOSw5L5cq6nF&frcectupt=true

https://www.ebay.com/itm/West-Point-Lowell-Quarter-2019-W-Uncirculated/163640581509?hash=item2619bd1d85:g:6E8AAOSwO-Zcq9oX&frcectupt=true

Now I hope I do find one.....there's a really nice Lucilla denarius I have my eye on that selling one of these would pay for!

There is a seller on Ebay who appears to have 10 of them remaining available for $100 and $139 depending upon the listing (seller has multiple listings).  I appreciate the enthusiasm it has created but I think 2M circulated quarters will be worth 25 cents very soon.  I'll check my change and maybe get lucky for a flip, or not. 

2 hours ago, Matt_dac said:

There is a seller on Ebay who appears to have 10 of them remaining available for $100 and $139 depending upon the listing (seller has multiple listings).  I appreciate the enthusiasm it has created but I think 2M circulated quarters will be worth 25 cents very soon.  I'll check my change and maybe get lucky for a flip, or not. 

That's my strategy too.  If I get one, I get one but if not, no big deal.  I'm definitely not going to start buying $500 boxes of quarters over this. 

On 4/9/2019 at 8:28 PM, bsshog40 said:

I agree also. Hopefully to find one in circulation but definitely now paying premium dollars for one. 

That's a good plan Bsshog.......I don't think that these will maintain the level of pricing that they're at currently down the road.  As I said in another thread, these are kind of like a fad, I think.  They're hot now, but they won't stay hot.  In the 90's, there were some Beanie Babies that sold for thousands.  Now they languish unsold in thrift shops with 99 cent price tags and forgotten about in totes in attics.  I don't think that these W quarters will likely be forgotten about as badly as Beanie Babies, but the prices will come down to more sane levels.  How low I don't know, but the 1996-W dime, with a mintage of under 2 million, can be had for less than $20 raw. 

Edited by Mohawk
I really can't type.

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 1:45 PM, Matt_dac said:

If the mintage is 2MM, even if only 1% survive "essentially as struck", that's still 20,000.  The survival rate will almost certainly be noticeably higher.  Far too common to support a price of $100 to $139 except for the condition census coin if the count is relatively low.

On 4/10/2019 at 2:11 PM, Mohawk said:

That's a good plan Bsshog.......I don't think that these will maintain the level of pricing that they're at currently down the road.  As I said in another thread, these are kind of like a fad, I think.  They're hot now, but they won't stay hot.  In the 90's, there were some Beanie Babies that sold for thousands.  Now they languish unsold in thrift shops with 99 cent price tags and forgotten about in totes in attics.  I don't think that these W quarters will likely be forgotten about as badly as Beanie Babies, but the prices will come down to more sane levels.  How low I don't know, but the 1996-W dime, with a mintage of under 2 million, can be had for less than $20 raw. 

Don't you speculate anymore

25 minutes ago, kbbpll said:

I heard that they secretly reopened the Manila mint for these.

Nope -- Checked it out -- that was the famous "Manila Envelope" they opened.

I have the 5 different 2019 W quarters each graded by NGC. They are each in individual slabs. Would NGC offer a 5 coin, multi-coin slab whereby all the 5 quarters, which are graded the same, could be in the same slab? Thanks.