• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC Morgan Grading Tips Sought

20 posts in this topic

Hello,

I didn't get any responses in the water cooler forum so maybe this is where I should ask this. I have spent the past 18 months really schooling myself on Morgan dollars and grading of them. I have 15 different date San Francisco, 1883-S forward raw uncirculated Morgans I have been acquiring the past nine months and I'm ready to send in for grading. They are nice coins about 63's and up in my opinion. Should I send them in all together? Is there and advantage to doing so? How do most of you ship to NGC, box or padded bubble wrap envelope? What do you about insurance when shipping? In the past I just used the NGC grade I thought the coin is. Is that a good method? Do any of you ask for conservation?

Any other suggestions and tips are appreciated. Thanks!

IMG_0240.jpg

I ship to NGC & PCGS in US Postal Service 'Priority Mail' boxes.  They are easy to work with and I can fit a small amount of coins in those little coin mailer cardboards.  I then use glass reinforced tape to secure the box.  Hope this tidbit helps.

I think it would be fine to submit all of the coins together. Based on the images, I can't tell if some of them are AU or choice unc. If you know of a local dealer to whom you could show them for screening, prior to submission, I'd suggest you consider that. Best of luck.

2 hours ago, Jazzbo said:

Alex in PA thank you. How do you determine how much to insure for?

I insure for what the NGC or PCGS Price Guide says; for ANACS, IGC what I paid for plus a bit.  I have some great Postal workers who informed me don't expect what you are claiming.  Take a good guess so you may get most of what you paid back.

You can tell NGC if you do not want them to slab a certain coin if it is going to receive a details grade or if is below the grade you believe the coin deserves.  For instance, if you think all of them are at least MS63 but NGC determines that 2 of them are AU55,  and 1 is Cleaned UNC, you can just have them send those three back to you without slabbing them.  I believe if a coin would benefit from conservation, they let you know that is an option, but you must decide if the extra cost of conservation, given the overall value of the coin after conservation is worth it. 

i do not collect morgan dollars per se, but I would add that MS-63 morgans are not particularly rare and are often not monetarily worth the time and effort to submit for grading.  Ironically, my jefferson nickel submission is about to be sent back to me, which is probably the prime example of coins that cause you to lose money on the resale market depending on how you acquired them.  I would look at each coin, determine grade, and decide for yourself if you are paying for the fun of the submission, the education of grading coins for yourself, and intent of getting a graded specimen.  If you are going to be selling them, it may save you money to just sell them raw.  Education is reasonable goal, but know that there are an abundance of grading resources online and paper that can help you ball park grades and it may be quite a bit cheaper.  

With regards to the shipping, I rubber band tightly the group of coins and bubble wrap and more bubble wrap in a box

Davids5104. Thanks for your advice although not too sound. Morgans at specific dates in uncirclulated grades are rare. Mine are all San Francisco 1883-s and up and are definitively worth grading, one only needs to check pricing guides. My post was specific about what and how to ship, insure and if conservation has been used.

I suggest getting a second set of eyes on them. A couple appear to be overdipped and or cleaned based on the photo. Second and fourth coin in the second row and the fourth coin in the third row at a minimum appear like potential problem coins. Some of the others appear dull base on your photos as well. If you take close up good photos, the folks here can help you avoid tuition costs. 

On 4/6/2019 at 10:42 AM, Jazzbo said:

Davids5104. Thanks for your advice although not too sound. Morgans at specific dates in uncirclulated grades are rare. Mine are all San Francisco 1883-s and up and are definitively worth grading, one only needs to check pricing guides. My post was specific about what and how to ship, insure and if conservation has been used.

I apologize if you miss took my statement.  your coins are quite nice, but there are only a few Morgans that are rare.  As an example, there are 5000 1890-S Morgan dollars graded in MS-63 at NGC alone.  I did not check the population ATS.  This particular coin can be acquired quite easily for less than 90 dollars.  My point was if you are going to sell them, you can sell yours for 90 dollars raw or graded as a MS-63. but if you paid 25 dollars to get it into the plastic you are erased some of the profit.  You may be aware of NGC population report, but if not it may give you a better indicator of what rare means.  Pricing guides are also unreliable for information for assessing value.  Please use this resource.... https://www.ngccoin.com/auction-central/us/morgan-dollars-1878-1921-pscid-49  It gives you sold auction prices of coins which is better.  Your post may have been specific, but the title "grading tips sought" is less so.  

good luck and if you wish to reach out I am happy to help

3 hours ago, Davids5104 said:

I apologize if you miss took my statement.  your coins are quite nice, but there are only a few Morgans that are rare.  As an example, there are 5000 1890-S Morgan dollars graded in MS-63 at NGC alone.  I did not check the population ATS.  This particular coin can be acquired quite easily for less than 90 dollars.  My point was if you are going to sell them, you can sell yours for 90 dollars raw or graded as a MS-63. but if you paid 25 dollars to get it into the plastic you are erased some of the profit.  You may be aware of NGC population report, but if not it may give you a better indicator of what rare means.  Pricing guides are also unreliable for information for assessing value.  Please use this resource.... https://www.ngccoin.com/auction-central/us/morgan-dollars-1878-1921-pscid-49  It gives you sold auction prices of coins which is better.  Your post may have been specific, but the title "grading tips sought" is less so.  

good luck and if you wish to reach out I am happy to help

I took and blew up his picks and I would love to see them in hand... Some really clean cheeks and fields. 

If they aren't improperly cleaned and the reverses are as nice as the obverse I think he should definitely send them in.

I'd love to see better pics as well as the reverses.

IMG_0240.jpg.ef8efe454015dacb628c69c31a477d2c.jpg

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 6:26 AM, Jazzbo said:

Hello,

I didn't get any responses in the water cooler forum so maybe this is where I should ask this. I have spent the past 18 months really schooling myself on Morgan dollars and grading of them. I have 15 different date San Francisco, 1883-S forward raw uncirculated Morgans I have been acquiring the past nine months and I'm ready to send in for grading. They are nice coins about 63's and up in my opinion. Should I send them in all together? Is there and advantage to doing so? How do most of you ship to NGC, box or padded bubble wrap envelope? What do you about insurance when shipping? In the past I just used the NGC grade I thought the coin is. Is that a good method? Do any of you ask for conservation?

1) "Should I send them in all together?"  Yes you should as this saves on postage costs.

2) "Is there and advantage to doing so?"  See above

3) "How do most of you ship to NGC, box or padded bubble wrap envelope?"  I always ship registered mail, it's slow but more secure, rubber banded together with lots of bubble wrap.

4) "What do you about insurance when shipping?"  I use my cost, the USPS will not reimburse you over your proven cost.  The return shipping will depend on the value after grading.

5) "Do any of you ask for conservation?"  I never have but if NGC feels that any coins in your submission can be helped by conservation they will contact you for your approval.

Best of luck on your submission, the only advice I can give you is that there is no such thing as a rare Morgan, go to any large show and you will see a sea of them at just about every table you pass.  I would caution against sending in any Morgan that can be purchased for under $100, those would not be worth the financial outlay unless you just want to test your grading skills.  Whatever you decide enjoy and stop in and let us know how you did. 

On 4/8/2019 at 10:34 AM, Gary_1877 said:

help you avoid tuition costs. 

That s funny right there, it is  ;-)

15 hours ago, Travis Hale said:

How does toning affect a 1878?

This has nothing to do with this gentleman's post - Please start a new topic and not hijack a persons post. It is considered rude

On 4/4/2019 at 9:26 AM, Jazzbo said:

Hello,

SOme real nice dates there - Anyway we can see closer up :-)