• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this a good time for buying silver bars?

9 posts in this topic

If I knew the answer to that, I would quit my day job.

Seriously, I am a terrible prognosticator. That is why I don't give investment advice.

Question, though: At what point do you consider selling that bar? is it a certain price point, or some other trigger?

I usually go by the chart because it explains it all. This is a 5 year chart -  It appears silver is stuck in a downtrend. Even if it slightly breaks out of the downtrend, overall the chart doesn't look good. 

1476991640_SLV_Barchart_Interactive_Chart_04_03_2019(1).thumb.png.33f0c557f7c16bc3408a90a92c70a838.png

@BipolarBaby is there a reason why you track Ishares Silver Trust rather than silver spot price in that chart?  Just comparing against the charts on Kitco for the last month the trust appears to trade roughly $1 under spot.  Not sure how it would compare in a uptrend market if it's all speculative.

15 hours ago, Jim Shuster said:

Just bought a 100 ounce silver bar. Not poured. Paid $1500. Ebay shows the price much higher.  Your thoughts on silver going up in value over the next year

Silver has been in the doldrums in recent years, I betcha it won't outpace inflation in the forseeable future.  Would you sell at 18.00 or are you hoping for the big score?

13 hours ago, CRAWTOMATIC said:

@BipolarBaby is there a reason why you track Ishares Silver Trust rather than silver spot price in that chart?  Just comparing against the charts on Kitco for the last month the trust appears to trade roughly $1 under spot.  Not sure how it would compare in a uptrend market if it's all speculative.

You're trying to make too much sense. Its a chart of what silver is doing, dont look at the price, look at the chart. The spot price chart looks exactly the same. The charts on kitco are also a joke. Using barchart, i can use indicators that arent available on kitco such as the RSI and MACD. Also, I can track the volume of traded shares which is key. 

I'll throw my two cents in. I would not be buying 100oz bars. I bought 4 of them before the big run up last time. I had a hard time selling them. Problem is, I paid 600 for them but when silver went over 40 it was real hard to find someone to give you 4000. I did sell 2.  I think 15 is a pretty good price, near bottom. However If the economy stays perking along silver wont rise much if any. Look at it this way, there have been 2 big runups since the 70s, so 20 or so years apart. Next one will come but might be ten years out.

Also you mentioned EBAY. I would not buy any silver bars from EBAY.  The major bullion sellers are priced pretty competitive. I use JMBullion and have bought from others. Too many fake large bars out there. Get burned on one for alot of money is just not worth it.