• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2019 "W" quarters. Your thoughts?

20 posts in this topic

I see they're released the W quarters to banks a few days ago. I was wondering what you experienced collectors think about going out and finding them. Is it worth searching for them and do you think they'll have any value down the road? 

If you want a couple, sure why not thrill of the hunt.  Will they have value down the road?  Probably not except for high end MS pieces.  And high end coins may be tough due to them all being  released in ballistic bags and possibly widely dispersed.  Good chance that a great many of them will acquire wear/damage before they get pulled.  After all, how easy is it to find ANY high end business strike even out of new rolls/boxes.  Most high end coins probably come from mint sold rolls or mint sets and these coins aren't being sold that way.

Conder brings up many of the same thoughts I've had.  The high MS grades on these could have some value, but it remains to be seen.  Also, how widely collected are the America the Beautiful quarters?  That's something to consider here as well.  I honestly do not know the answer to that one, but I can't imagine that they're a burning hot series.  I think a lot of collectors are burnt out on these years long series from the US Mint.  I know what I'm going to do if I find one of these W quarters.......it's headed to eBay!

4 hours ago, szugelder said:

I was at the bank today at lunch time, guy bought two BOXES of quarters from the teller, wasn't shy about telling everyone what he was after...

Yeah....there's gonna be some craziness about these.  There are a couple on eBay selling for $100 or so.  I was curious so I checked it out.  I wouldn't mind finding one myself at that price......there are some nice denarii that I could get for that.  But I'm not going to go nuts.  If I find one, great, but if not, no problem.

Here's the snippet from the press release @investinrehabs:  In early April, the first of the W mint mark quarters will be shipped and distributed to banks and financial institutions by the Federal Reserve. 

I imagine that means they'll be sent via bag/crate to the Federal Reserve banks then outsourced to whatever company does the rolling of them to fulfill local bank orders for more change.  There's only 12 Federal Reserve bank locations currently:  Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Cleveland, Richmond (VA), Atlanta, Chicago, St Louis, Minneapolis, Kansas City, Dallas, & San Francisco.  Chances are that the metropolitan areas around those Reserve banks will be the first to see these.

Side note, if you ever have a chance to visit one of the Reserve banks it's a pretty neat tour.  I took the kids to the one here in Dallas and the security passthrough area was worth the visit alone.  Plus they got bags of shredded currency for free which I believe the BEP over in Fort Worth actually sells in their gift shop.  Been a while since I visited the BEP though as their tour hours aren't very convenient.

I appreciate the enthusiasm, but I too think these will be virtually worthless once many are found.  We are talking about 2M banged up modern coins in circulation. 

I'm thinking that if I can get some that are "really" banged up, that they might be worth saving for my grand kids. After all, I seem to never know what coin might be worth something and what might be worthless!

54 minutes ago, investinrehabs said:

I'm thinking that if I can get some that are "really" banged up, that they might be worth saving for my grand kids. After all, I seem to never know what coin might be worth something and what might be worthless!

If you happen to find some in circulation by all means hold a few.  I think if you have to pay a premium for them then there's far better options for investment growth at the same price point, something much rarer but less valued currently depending on the price for a W mint mark quarter.

Stupid real world example:  Circulated Bicentennial Quarters routinely sell for $0.43-$0.50 cents apiece.  I mean, yeah, that's double face value for something banged up, not low mintage, and not unique to those of us that lived through the 80s.  But if you had the same opportunity posed today to pay $1 for a banged up quarter and hold onto it for 30 years and sell it for $1 or maybe $2 I wouldn't call that worthwhile. 

Chances are there will be enough of these W's rescued in MS60-63 condition that anybody wanting one on the low range in the future should find it affordable.

7 hours ago, BipolarBaby said:

I dont see what the thrill is all about.. its a 2019 quarter..

I'm with you on that sentiment Pete.  The reason I'm even looking is for flipping potential myself.....gotta feed that Fausti addiction somehow my friend :)

Just now, investinrehabs said:

Guys,

I agree. I'll probably get some rolls and see if I find any and if I do, great. If I don't, it's not the end of the world! Do you guys think that the banks would have them by now?

Some banks seem to.  There are some listed up on eBay from sellers that appear to be in Tennessee.  It could be worth looking at a couple rolls.  However, I wonder how long they'll keep selling at the levels they're selling at now.  That'll be interesting to see.

6 hours ago, CRAWTOMATIC said:

Here's the snippet from the press release @investinrehabs:  In early April, the first of the W mint mark quarters will be shipped and distributed to banks and financial institutions by the Federal Reserve. 

I imagine that means they'll be sent via bag/crate to the Federal Reserve banks then outsourced to whatever company does the rolling of them to fulfill local bank orders for more change.  There's only 12 Federal Reserve bank locations currently:  Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Cleveland, Richmond (VA), Atlanta, Chicago, St Louis, Minneapolis, Kansas City, Dallas, & San Francisco.  Chances are that the metropolitan areas around those Reserve banks will be the first to see these.

Side note, if you ever have a chance to visit one of the Reserve banks it's a pretty neat tour.  I took the kids to the one here in Dallas and the security passthrough area was worth the visit alone.  Plus they got bags of shredded currency for free which I believe the BEP over in Fort Worth actually sells in their gift shop.  Been a while since I visited the BEP though as their tour hours aren't very convenient.

Yeah, the Federal Reserve Banks are cool.  I got to visit the San Francisco one around the year 2000 when I was living in California.  It was a pretty cool tour but you're right about the hours...you have to hit it at the right time.  It's worth it if you can though.

8 minutes ago, investinrehabs said:

LMFAO!! People on eBay are selling the quarters anywhere from $80 to as high as $139! Course I guess if they sell them, I won't be laughing! 

I know...it's pretty crazy!  There are people out there that absolutely need to snag the latest new thing that is getting hype at the time.  I highly doubt that these coins will hold that value over the long term.  I mean, they are making 2 million of each design.  This is low for a modern, yes, but there are many US coins with similar mintages that sell for less.  And, really, how popular is the America the Beautiful series?  I may be wrong, but I see $20 coins at best by 2020.  However, if I do find one and someone on eBay does want to pay me $80 or so for it, I'll be glad to let them buy me a nice denarius :) 

PCGS just posted ATS:

" As we understand it the P & D Lowell quarters were already fully distributed by the time they started putting W Lowell quarters into circulation. If you watch the mint videos closely you can see the mint director pour W Lowell quarters into the giant Mariana Island bags. So relatively speaking, if you find rolls of Mariana Island quarters, the hunt itself should be pretty easy, because every Lowell quarter in those rolls should be a W mint mark coin. - Or so we think! -"

Apparently there are no W Lowells in the Lowell P&D rolls. If you notice the ebay pics of rolls with a Lowell W on the end show a Mariana reverse on the other end. This confirms PCGS's statement.