• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comments on the Registry

10 posts in this topic

For some of mine I give a small precis on things like mintage, diameter/weight, metal content--like what Krause includes.  For a core set I'll add some history.  On my favorite set I added population status, which is now redundant as there is a link to the NGC census.  If they added a link to the price guide then there would be even more redundancy.  For my custom set I did a completely different thing and used the comment section to describe each coin in a slot for a type set.  

Favorite set:  Zog's Albania

You can see I gave some history in the 'intro' at the top.  Most of the coins are just what I listed above, but if you check the coin with zero points 'non-competitive, display only' I gave more details on that particular coin.

Another favorite:  Showa era 50 sen (double phoenix)  I didn't put much under the individual coins, but did do a brief intro you can click on at the top.

My Japan Type custom set:  Custom set (Japan type set)   This set I used a different approach.  It's custom so still on the Collector's Society only version.  General discussion in the top section, but each coin has something more detailed in the comment section.

Neither of these are award winning (well other than general category for the Albanians) but if you look through the top awarded sets that might give you more ideas.  2018 Award winners

That said, you don't have to put ANYTHING in the comments.  Totally up to you.

Like Star City Homer said, you don't have to put anything, but you could put just about anything (subject to a 5000 character limit, which is usually plenty).

If you're aiming to win one of the big overall awards, like the ones linked to by SCH, it usually helps if the set comes together to tell a story - usually focused on what you personally enjoy the set, how you got into collecting them, how the set was built, the history of the set or story about the history of the country that you think people will enjoy reading about. The main thing for those is using what you write to show a passion / joy in the set and the process of building it and in the hobby.

Forgot to add: The above, is, of course, just my 2 cents based on what I've seen over the years.

Thank you Star City Homer and Revenant for the informative responses. Not looking to win an award, just thought sharing on the registry would be a great next step in the hobby. My set will never be at the top of the list but it is a lifetime of collecting. Wondered if it would be interesting to others as to how/why I acquired some of my coins? 

I always love a good story!  Have fun with it! 

I found the registry stuff has truly enhanced my enjoyment of the hobby, beyond just the collecting nature of it.  Reading more on history and learning way more than just what is in a catalog.  Only a small bit has ended up in my set descriptions, but it sure is fun.

5 hours ago, Star City Homer said:

I found the registry stuff has truly enhanced my enjoyment of the hobby, beyond just the collecting nature of it.  Reading more on history and learning way more than just what is in a catalog.  Only a small bit has ended up in my set descriptions, but it sure is fun.

I agree on that.

I've gone through a lot of periods in my life where I've had a hobby that I loved - not just coin collecting - but I wasn't close to anyone or didn't have a group to share and talk about it with unless I went online. The registry mostly gives that to me - a place to share with others, see what others are doing, etc.

6 hours ago, Teddy R said:

Wondered if it would be interesting to others as to how/why I acquired some of my coins? 

You can't go wrong doing that.

My 10G set and my 1932 set are both built around that concept and those are both talked about / expanded on in my journals - and the journals are also a great and fun way to share the journey if you enjoy that. I recommendit if you do.

Star City Homer, Revenant, very insightful and appreciated responses. You've both given me some great info on how to move forward. My initial set is U.S. 20th Century Type which is not nearly as interesting as your collections. To those that would look, most will be familiar with the statistics of the particular coins. I think I'll start by posting my story behind the coin and if it becomes long winded I can keep it brief and start a journal.

• Administrator
On 4/5/2019 at 1:46 PM, Teddy R said:

Star City Homer, Revenant, very insightful and appreciated responses. You've both given me some great info on how to move forward. My initial set is U.S. 20th Century Type which is not nearly as interesting as your collections. To those that would look, most will be familiar with the statistics of the particular coins. I think I'll start by posting my story behind the coin and if it becomes long winded I can keep it brief and start a journal.

Greetings, Teddy R!

We appreciate your interest and involvement in the NGC Registry and NGC collecting community. If you ever need assistance with the NGC Registry, please do not hesitate to reach out to us at registry@ngccoin.com

22 minutes ago, Ali E. said:

Greetings, Teddy R!

We appreciate your interest and involvement in the NGC Registry and NGC collecting community. If you ever need assistance with the NGC Registry, please do not hesitate to reach out to us at registry@ngccoin.com

Thanks Ali