• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1916 China S$1 L&M-942 Y-332 Hung Hsien

7 posts in this topic

Here is a coin I submitted a long time ago when I was substantially more naive about the intricacies of counterfeit coins. I do not recall where I got it from or I would list the source. The coin by all appearances seems to be silver, but I never had it tested. The first indications that it is counterfeit are the weight (30.55 grams) and diameter (40.43 mm). The weight should be 26.8 grams and it should have a diameter of 39 millimeters. The second indication is the lack of detail. According to NGC, this is the 7th most counterfeited Chinese coin (https://www.ngccoin.com/resources/counterfeit-detection/top/chinese/7/).  

695166019_China(blackbackground).thumb.jpg.f61826abb3427e8c230f239be4d48959.jpg

56 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

And now, with years more experience under your belt, you probably would not have to give it, or one like it, a second glance to know it was fake. I hope that lesson was not a costly one.

If I had to guess I likely picked this thing up when I was maybe 15? Now with over a decade of additional experience, I would not take a second glance at it. I did not have a code on the flip so I can’t say for sure, but given my age, I doubt I paid much of anything for it. I am sure I had other more deserving coins that needed to be graded at the time. A lesson well learned. 

On 4/3/2019 at 9:41 AM, coinsandmedals said:

Here is a coin I submitted a long time ago when I was substantially more naive about the intricacies of counterfeit coins. I do not recall where I got it from or I would list the source. The coin by all appearances seems to be silver, but I never had it tested. The first indications that it is counterfeit are the weight (30.55 grams) and diameter (40.43 mm). The weight should be 26.8 grams and it should have a diameter of 39 millimeters. The second indication is the lack of detail. According to NGC, this is the 7th most counterfeited Chinese coin (https://www.ngccoin.com/resources/counterfeit-detection/top/chinese/7/).  

695166019_China(blackbackground).thumb.jpg.f61826abb3427e8c230f239be4d48959.jpg

I have 1 of this version too. as i know this version of Flying Dragon Coin could be genuine too. People are auctioning it today at $1M HKD today.

can you please check mine on above post? Thanks!

D5F5E596-D20C-436F-BBA1-EA5C4750243F.thumb.jpeg.466d6971f75f5952c186496958f098e4.jpeg

Edited by Lingcwei
Wrong attachment