• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1971 D mint mark dime from Philadelphia

10 posts in this topic

I would assume you are saying you were cutting up a mint set and found the set had two D mint times and no "plain".  If that is correct, no Philadelphia did not make D mint dimes by mistake.  There was a packaging error in assembling the set and a D dime was put in instead of a plain one.  The sets are not assembled at or by the individual mints.  The coins are shipped elsewhere (at one time it was the San Francisco mint, it may still be) and assembled there.

6 hours ago, Conder101 said:

The sets are not assembled at or by the individual mints.  The coins are shipped elsewhere (at one time it was the San Francisco mint, it may still be) and assembled there.

I learned something new today.

7 hours ago, Conder101 said:

I would assume you are saying you were cutting up a mint set and found the set had two D mint times and no "plain".  If that is correct, no Philadelphia did not make D mint dimes by mistake.  There was a packaging error in assembling the set and a D dime was put in instead of a plain one.  The sets are not assembled at or by the individual mints.  The coins are shipped elsewhere (at one time it was the San Francisco mint, it may still be) and assembled there.

Thanks for that info, I kind of thought that was the case, but I was not sure if they were packaged elsewhere.

And yes, I was cutting up the mint set. I'm not sure if people freak out about me cutting up the mint sets.

5 hours ago, Dukemnm said:

Thanks for that info, I kind of thought that was the case, but I was not sure if they were packaged elsewhere.

And yes, I was cutting up the mint set. I'm not sure if people freak out about me cutting up the mint sets.

Given the value of most recent Mint Sets, I am sure no one is bothered at all. 

3 hours ago, Dukemnm said:

Yeah, By the time I realized, it was too late. LOL I might buy a few see if I get lucky again. it might be common. 

I had a 1969 set like that, only it had two Philly dimes instead of two Denver.  I auctioned it on eBay and I sold it for a little premium, but it took a while.  It's not common, but I don't think it adds much value to the set either.

On 4/2/2019 at 1:19 PM, valk1999 said:

I might have kept that mint set due to the unusual error in packaging and found another to cut up...

I bought three more, two opened and one unopened, let's see what I can find. If anything I have extras, and I can give some to my kids, 6 and 7 as they seem to like collecting as well. They have their own collection going. 

My son 6 with his perthmint sharks. :D and my daughter 7 with her beasts from royal mint.