• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1893 Liberty Head

17 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

Is this worth getting graded as it looks like it could have been cleaned?

Also, are these holders ok? they were advertised for Eagles but don't quite fit. 

Thanks everyone

IMG_2594.jpg

Nothing wrong with airtites. It's not as if the gold is going to tarnish much. Looks well worn, so I don't imagine it would grade very high--but any $10 gold piece is worth a good deal just for showing up, and that issue seems slightly less common than average. Depends what it would cost whether it would be worth slabbing.

5 minutes ago, VanArippa said:

Inherited some coins recently and not sure what to do as far as preservation or possibly getting some graded?

Well, for starters, don't touch them with bare skin or clean them. You'd have to tell us what you have. If you do not know what you have, please post sharp obverse and reverse photos, with associated questions, and we will tell you what we think of them. You may get varying opinions.

1 hour ago, VanArippa said:

Thanks JKK.  Its an 1889 $20 Gold piece. Wrote the wrong date. I will try and take some better pics. Thanks much

Is there a mint mark on the reverse underneath the eagle?

5 minutes ago, VanArippa said:

Yes these are very common. If its not a unique date/ mint mark/ etc. Its probably not worth grading in your opinion? 

No its not worth grading. For and giggles can you post a picture of the reverse?

It looks like it has been cleaned but also has a lot of good honest wear.  It's grade is no more than Fine, I would not slab it.