• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I have a general query...

49 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Mohawk said:

Etsy is my arch nemesis ever since the whole 1977-D "Pac-Man" cent issue arose from there and contaminated our happy little home.

Hold a grudge much? Lol!

2 minutes ago, KarenHolcomb said:

Ah. Ok. You know I found a major error on their CoinFacts app, either there or in the CherryPickers Guide and I brought it to Potters attention because he had proofread the app statement and he said the above is correct but I had both examples that were opposite one another above, so I was like...ok.  I still don't know which was correct.

Now that you have made that statement, you have to start a thread about it with pictures.

3 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

Now that you have made that statement, you have to start a thread about it with pictures.

Why? Alright. I will.

Just now, KarenHolcomb said:

Why? 

Because the forum rules say so. I have read the rule book.  It's in there somewhere. :nyah:

On 3/25/2019 at 8:25 PM, KarenHolcomb said:

Did they continue to delve deeper into the hobby and 

Once every couple late nights I participate in the forum, maybe in the early morning hours on the weekend. 

When I travel I'm not on it. During the day it's all coins so I don't check into it. I post some stuff I buy but keep it platonic really, I don't share my long term goals or what I call expensive coins. Been collecting since I was a kid, addicted to coins since then and dealing with slowly withdrawing from the day to day with it. I love coins and read about serious things with them, I'm just done with the same stuff they publish over and over again. 

My collecting is still strong I just try an avoid the drama these days, I've heard every line other dealer and so forth say as a buy or sell and I'm not being ugly I just don't wanna hear it any more, it will do good to get off the road when it happens. Some awesome great people in coin World and we should focus on the positive. 

I sent some more stuff to great collections and I've been working on my 2nd book. The girls handle the most basic stuff and I'll probably sell the general stuff to a couple other dealers this year. Everyone is wanting to go to the next stage in life and it was well worth it years ago so on goes life....

I'll probably be doing something with coins when that time comes... pain is temporary Glory is forever....peace

1 hour ago, KarenHolcomb said:

Hold a grudge much? Lol!

Not usually....I'm not typically the vengeful type.  I'm a live and let live kind of guy.  But Etsy just does so much to damage our hobby with all of the fake coins, fake coins in fake slabs, damaged coins being sold as errors for $50,000 and things like that, I've decided in the case of Etsy a grudge is warranted ;)

On 3/28/2019 at 12:10 AM, BipolarBaby said:

Dont worry about Tom, he seems to be in a great state right now, especially since he re-found an obsession for collecting! He happens to be interested in collecting the same coins I am - Roman period. The challenge is there for collecting these coins, as he stated before in another topic, and it really is. The idea that some of these coin in ancient times could have been held in the hands of Jesus is a feeling that no one or nothing can replace. I am horrible at putting my feelings into words, but that is as best as I can describe it. 

CHEERS FOLKS,

Peter

Yeah.....Pete is right.  I'm developing a real Fausti problem (coins of Empress Faustina the Younger).  It's pretty cool to think of the history these coins have seen, and there's also the fact that Faustina herself could have held the coins.  That's pretty magical to me as she's someone I admire.  The Jesus thing does nothing for me personally though.....I'm not a Christian nor am I even religious (but to each their own, Pete!) but as you can see from what I said about Faustina, I have some of the very same feelings, just the Tom version :).  And they certainly are a challenge, which is something I need.  I think I may have finally found the area of numismatics that can sustain that for me over the long term.  It's very exciting to be on a new adventure!

1 hour ago, Numismatic, A.A.S. said:

Once every couple late nights I participate in the forum, maybe in the early morning hours on the weekend. 

When I travel I'm not on it. During the day it's all coins so I don't check into it. I post some stuff I buy but keep it platonic really, I don't share my long term goals or what I call expensive coins. Been collecting since I was a kid, addicted to coins since then and dealing with slowly withdrawing from the day to day with it. I love coins and read about serious things with them, I'm just done with the same stuff they publish over and over again. 

My collecting is still strong I just try an avoid the drama these days, I've heard every line other dealer and so forth say as a buy or sell and I'm not being ugly I just don't wanna hear it any more, it will do good to get off the road when it happens. Some awesome great people in coin World and we should focus on the positive. 

I sent some more stuff to great collections and I've been working on my 2nd book. The girls handle the most basic stuff and I'll probably sell the general stuff to a couple other dealers this year. Everyone is wanting to go to the next stage in life and it was well worth it years ago so on goes life....

I'll probably be doing something with coins when that time comes... pain is temporary Glory is forever....peace

Wel Mr. Numismatic, A.A.S., I am glad to have met you this once.

41 minutes ago, Mohawk said:

Yeah.....Pete is right.  I'm developing a real Fausti problem (coins of Empress Faustina the Younger).  It's pretty cool to think of the history these coins have seen, and there's also the fact that Faustina herself could have held the coins.  That's pretty magical to me as she's someone I admire.  The Jesus thing does nothing for me personally though.....I'm not a Christian nor am I even religious (but to each their own, Pete!) but as you can see from what I said about Faustina, I have some of the very same feelings, just the Tom version :).  And they certainly are a challenge, which is something I need.  I think I may have finally found the area of numismatics that can sustain that for me over the long term.  It's very exciting to be on a new adventure!

Well said, Tom. Happy hunting.

49 minutes ago, Mohawk said:

Not usually....I'm not typically the vengeful type.  I'm a live and let live kind of guy.  But Etsy just does so much to damage our hobby with all of the fake coins, fake coins in fake slabs, damaged coins being sold as errors for $50,000 and things like that, I've decided in the case of Etsy a grudge is warranted ;)

Really? You know that 20t20th Century Collection of mine? Etsy. Since I completed it I've just been buying Proof Sets and several have come from Etsy as well as some pretty good Cent rolls. Idk about counterfeits or $50,000. coins and maybe because i don't even bother looking at them is why I've not been disappointed yet. So I imagine I feel about ebay as you do about etsy. But really I am in a couple of pretty great FB buy, sell, and trade groups and have been real lucky in them and rarely even look online anymore. You should see the '61 Set I got the other day! 4 of the 5 would definitely grade out at 68+. Best coins I've gotten yet.

12 hours ago, Numismatic, A.A.S. said:

We're they expensive...what years?

Well, I have gotten so many, some from Etsy and some from my FB groups and LetGo so I really can't say for sure but everything but a '98 and an '07 are pre 85 and I've not paid more than $20 for a set and those few are probably from Etsy but years that I especially wanted. On FB and LetGo they average $10-15 a Set. And I got my 20th Century Set frame for $75 fully filled from Etsy. The coins in it weren't MS but they were all decent and I wasn't buying it for the coins, I just really liked the display.

On 3/27/2019 at 10:47 AM, BipolarBaby said:

I do however collect rainbow toned US coins as the eye appeal still strikes my fancy. 

I have always loved this...so many people are drawing the conclusion that if it's ugly, it's ugly no one really wants it...that beautiful coin is like a work of art...not so much the ugly keys...the attractive commons which are also more bang for your buck...CAN YOU IMAGINE WHAT WILL HAPPEN PRICE WISE WHEN SOCIETY STARTS TO VIEW RAINBOW COINS AS THEY DO PAINTINGS...$$$$$$$

Life happens sometimes.

I was most active on here originally from 2007-2009 when I was rediscovering my childhood love of coins in my early 20s. I was single, in college and life was simple.

Didn't really come back until 2018 and this place is currently my escape from the stress of life. I guess I'll be here until life forces my focus elsewhere again.

There is exponentially higher message board participation ATS, and I find it a bit of a mystery.  When I submit coins I do so to our hosts, and they do a ton of coins, and I wish there was more activity here. 

On 4/9/2019 at 1:41 PM, Matt_dac said:

There is exponentially higher message board participation ATS, and I find it a bit of a mystery.  When I submit coins I do so to our hosts, and they do a ton of coins, and I wish there was more activity here. 

I find more drama over at PCGS and if you accidentally make a mistake on a coin fact, oh Boy...there are also many who are cold critics of the social happiness side of coins and the blessings of fun...I've heard people say they're world class premiere forum...depends on where your heart is and of course, which side of the table you sit at.....peace 

20 minutes ago, Numismatic, A.A.S. said:

I find more drama over at PCGS and if you accidentally make a mistake on a coin fact, oh Boy...there are also many who are cold critics of the social happiness side of coins and the blessings of fun...I've heard people say they're world class premiere forum...depends on where your heart is and of course, which side of the table you sit at.....peace 

You're far from the first person I've heard say that.  Actually, a lot of boards that aren't this one have a lot of the same problems.  I used to belong to several.  Now I only post and read things here.  There are A LOT of, shall we say for the sake of not getting censored, very unpleasant people on those other boards.  It's mostly good folks here, with the occasional problem every now and then.  I'll take the slower pace and better people anytime!

2 hours ago, Mohawk said:

It's mostly good folks here, with the occasional problem every now and then.  I'll take the slower pace and better

And that's exactly why I treat this place as a privilege and remember my boundaries...very knowledgeable persons over here. I really enjoy sharing my thoughts on coins and get excited over reading your stuff and others...makes sense when I read and listen, take my slow turn.....peace 

3 hours ago, Numismatic, A.A.S. said:

I agree. I was referring to participation frequency.