• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about Grading Ancient Coins

15 posts in this topic

I was wondering why do some ancient coins have a graded strike/surface but then some do not? The first coin below was a coin I recently purchased. As you can see there's no grade for strike or surface. The second coin was just another coin I saw after I had purchased this one and it has a graded strike/surface. Thanks for your time and consideration. 

Peter

marcus.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

There are multiple levels of service for ancient coins. The additional features come with a higher fee that not all submitters need or desire.

31 minutes ago, DWLange said:

There are multiple levels of service for ancient coins. The additional features come with a higher fee that not all submitters need or desire.

Makes sense now, thank you very much.

Agreed.  That is a gorgeous denarius.  No question about it.  That's a piece to be very proud of.

12 minutes ago, Mohawk said:

Agreed.  That is a gorgeous denarius.  No question about it.  That's a piece to be very proud of.

Thanks Tom, I'm receiving it in the mail momentarily. I will post pictures if it looks different on hand. 

1 hour ago, JKK said:

Thanks for posting those. Really pretty piece.

Thank you very much. I actually just purchased this Faustina II piece but I moved too soon! I didnt realize it was brushed till after I paid.. oh well 

s-l1600.jpg

Still a nice denarius. Very sharp features and legend. Speaking of legends, if you need any help figuring those so you can easily look them up on Wildwinds, let me know. Each issue only has a set number of possible legends.

13 minutes ago, JKK said:

Still a nice denarius. Very sharp features and legend. Speaking of legends, if you need any help figuring those so you can easily look them up on Wildwinds, let me know. Each issue only has a set number of possible legends.

Thank you, I appreciate you offering your help. I will definitely ask you when I am ready. I was able to cancel that transaction and I bought this one instead. It was a lot cheaper this one.

s-l1600.jpg

Also looks nice. Most of the Augustae have either FAVSTINA (for example) AVGVSTA or just (for another example) SALONINA AVG.

56 minutes ago, Mk123 said:

nice ancients op!!

thanks bud!

9 hours ago, JKK said:

Also looks nice. Most of the Augustae have either FAVSTINA (for example) AVGVSTA or just (for another example) SALONINA AVG.

Yea I am getting a little handle on it. Definitely need to continue research. A book about these coins would be nice. I might go check out Barnes and Noble today.