• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hairline scratches from dies?

7 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Yes, scratches in the die will appear as raised lines on the coin.

They are very prominent on the 1964 SMS Roosevelt dimes. They are called "Die Polishing" lines, but they are more like "Die Scratching" lines, in my opinion. I always thought that just a little more time and effort on the part of the die finisher could have turned out some really nice looking coins. Instead, they look like they were produced in a rush. On a different coin, the lines may have given it "character." On this particular coin, they make it appear unfinished and less attractive than it should have been.

7 hours ago, DWLange said:

Yes, scratches in the die will appear as raised lines on the coin.

those so called polishing lines are on most all coins, from morgens to cents. I have often wondered if a wire brush is used for polishing. 

On 3/25/2019 at 11:15 AM, AskMrDale said:

Thanks for your reply Bob & Dave. Next question, of course, do the die polishing lines detract from a grade the same as ordinary old hairline scratches?

From what I've read they don't detract from the technical grade (though could affect subjective eye appeal). 

They're also useful for determining authenticity and confirming varieties as die markers.

1 hour ago, CRAWTOMATIC said:

From what I've read they don't detract from the technical grade (though could affect subjective eye appeal). 

They're also useful for determining authenticity and confirming varieties as die markers.

Thanks for the good information.