• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1914 or 1921

6 posts in this topic

Top of the morning experts. Friends gave me this coin, along with a few others. I'll post this first. Is it silver? The research I did indicated a 1914 China silver yuan shih Kai dollar. Qing dynasty(the fat man)

IMG_20190324_103403252.jpg

IMG_20190324_103427428.jpg

Put a magnet near it is the first thing I would do. I once held a rare earth stud finder near a stack of supposed Chinese silver rounds and they flew across six inches and hit the stud finder almost hard enough to make me drop it. For these coins, it is not valid to assume them genuine. The suitable assumption is that they are counterfeit, and the burden of proof is on authenticity. Plus, the color on that one looks very sketch.

49 minutes ago, JKK said:

Put a magnet near it is the first thing I would do. I once held a rare earth stud finder near a stack of supposed Chinese silver rounds and they flew across six inches and hit the stud finder almost hard enough to make me drop it. For these coins, it is not valid to assume them genuine. The suitable assumption is that they are counterfeit, and the burden of proof is on authenticity. Plus, the color on that one looks very sketch.

JKK is absolutely correct.....the coin you posted is one of the most counterfeited coins on this planet.  I remember reading once years ago, I don't recall the source so I sadly cannot cite it, that  it is legal to make fakes of any coin on the planet except for Chinese coins after 1949 in China.  And, as we all know here, they really crank them out.  I sadly think your coin looks suspect as well.

How do u pep do it. The magnet test is one I use alot on jewelry and such. Y I didn't think of using it on the coin, but ya know...ka pow, it stuck. Imposter I say. Tnks pep, another class dismissed. 

1 hour ago, kramden said:

How do u pep do it. The magnet test is one I use alot on jewelry and such. Y I didn't think of using it on the coin, but ya know...ka pow, it stuck. Imposter I say. Tnks pep, another class dismissed. 

Yeah....those "Fat Man Dollars" are dangerous.  They're one of those coins to only buy already certified.  I believe that fakes of that coin far outnumber genuine examples.  The fake posted is easily detectable with a magnet but not all of them are.  There are fakes that are actually made of silver out there that are very deceptive.