• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

conservation?

3 posts in this topic

NGC sent me an email that states that 4 of the coins I sent in would be a candidate for

conservation, The grades now assigned are MS-66, The question I have is, will the conservation bring 

them up to say the MS-67 grade, The MS-66 grade NGC value is 65.00, seems 

pointless to spend the extra money to keep the same grade, grading cost + Conservation cost equals no gain.

There is no guarantee the grade would change at all.  And in some cases conservation reveals problems that were unseen that actually lower the grade or even make it a details.

15 hours ago, Conder101 said:

There is no guarantee the grade would change at all.  And in some cases conservation reveals problems that were unseen that actually lower the grade or even make it a details.

Conder exactly correct.  I've actually had that very thing happen, where the conservation revealed a flaw.  The coin had residue of some sort on it, and when it was removed, it was found that the residue had actually rotted the coin underneath (it was a zinc coin, but a very valuable zinc coin).  I took a big hit on that one.  I think if you have MS 66 grades and the coins are worth $65 as they stand, I'd just go with it.