• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1971 penny

14 posts in this topic

I'm not seeing an off center strike either.  Just a regular, damaged 1971 Lincoln Cent

Ok gaining valuable info fm here.  Thanks. Question.,,........what do war nickles weigh? I got 3 more.2 p's and a d.do they weigh 5 grams like the other ones. I'll post em later. Doing research on em

1 hour ago, kramden said:

so these r only a couple of bucks. thats valueable??????

Yea, not too valuable, just your regular silver war nickels and a 1954 nickel. There are some different varieties to the nickel. I believe how many "steps" that are in front of the Monticello could determine the value greater or not. Some info on the steps here:

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/the-fs-full-step-designation-for-jefferson-nickels-defined-photographically.49827/

Although by those pictures I don't think you'll be able to tell how many steps there are on those coins. You got about 2.60$ in silver there, figure you'll get around that for the nickels. 

2 hours ago, BipolarBaby said:

Yea, not too valuable, just your regular silver war nickels and a 1954 nickel. There are some different varieties to the nickel. I believe how many "steps" that are in front of the Monticello could determine the value greater or not. Some info on the steps here:

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/the-fs-full-step-designation-for-jefferson-nickels-defined-photographically.49827/

Although by those pictures I don't think you'll be able to tell how many steps there are on those coins. You got about 2.60$ in silver there, figure you'll get around that for the nickels. 

Peter is correct.  The War Nickels are worth silver melt and the 1954-D is a spender.  The whole step issue is with mint state coins only, as far as I know.  I do know that it definitely does not apply to well circulated coins such as the ones pictured......it's pretty hard to count steps when they're worn off ;)