• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

coin certification

7 posts in this topic

Hello. I have some very interesting coins. One of them may potentially be worth a substantial amount of money. I am in a situation where money is very tight right now and I don't have the cash up front to have it certified for resale or auction. My question is this; Do any coin dealers or auction houses offer certification services that can be deducted AFTER a coin has been sold as part of their commission/fee ?

54518821_10213531596392690_7205857298982371328_n.jpg

53822725_10213531596712698_9008590806965026816_n (1).jpg

You could talk to a dealer about it. Some might go for that, taking the grading fee as reimbursement along with the consignment fee. However, do bear in mind that if the coins come back less valuable than you imagined, the dealer might still expect you to pay the consignment fee. (For example, a trade dollar that turned out to be fake, or something you thought was a megabucks MS-63 coming back Cleaned AU Details.)

I would assume most dealers would only consider arranging to slab a coin to enhance its auctionability only if  a. it is an established rarity with value substantially above a common coin of the same type or b. if they, in their professional opinion, believe even a relatively common coin is going to slab at a high grade.  Like JKK says, consult with a dealer.

I personally think you will have a hard time finding a dealer willing to do this for such a relatively low value coin posted above.

It’s my favorite coin series by the way and I have the complete set, but you’re looking at a few hundred bucks. $300-$600 if it grades low to mid Mint State. It will cost you $60 or so to get it graded.

If you have other coins, post the best pictures you can and we can help with advice/opinion.

Hello Steven,

Depending on how much money you need, you could bring the coin to a pawn shop and ask for a loan against it. You have about 160$ in gold there, im sure they'll offer around that because they're in it for profit as well. Also the less you borrow, the less you would have to pay back (and you get to keep your coin)! There was a situation a few years back, I got into a tight jam but but I didnt want to lose my coins for good so I did the pawn approach as I suggested above and was able to regain all my coins back less than a year after. Just food for thought.

PS- I dont believe auction houses work like that but you could possibly work a deal up with a local coin dealer. 

Heritage will work like that, but I don't believe this coin isn't worth enough to interest them. Even if they did any sale would be months away. This looks like an AU 1913 quarter agle and I don't recall that as being a better date.