• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pre 33 gold Any input would be appreciated

43 posts in this topic

These cell phone pictures dont do the coins justice but I'm going to get them graded and see what happens but I just stumbled upon these and I believe I'll get a 66 or 67 on 2 or 3 of these and I just want some input from collectors and professionals on what to expect as far as return i paid melt price for them with Hope's of coming close to 50k but would be happy with 10-20k thanks alot20190305_150625_crop_357x339.jpg.bc93038a65da46001e3b05869a6ba771.jpgimageproxy.php?img=&key=31b352271b3a5a4bimageproxy.php?img=&key=31b352271b3a5a4b20190305_150916_crop_726x695.jpg.832511881ace9d285961e37a7ded60ad.jpg20190305_150852_crop_720x747.jpg.3d84aeb2f98d60b0425f3ac888d9774d.jpg20190305_150649_crop_351x368.jpg.d89cfec9d9cadb63e497383d12732a8c.jpg

20190305_150445_crop_325x321.jpg

20190305_150427_crop_392x349.jpg

20190305_150249_crop_309x247.jpg

20190305_150703_crop_213x203.jpg

Welcome to the forum.

Hopefully, they are all genuine - I can’t tell for certain from the images. Even if they are, however, you’re not going to get anywhere near the grades you mentioned. Some of them are not even uncirculated and thus would grade less than MS60. 

Before you submit them for grading, I would suggest getting them screened by a dealer. If you don’t know one in your area, feel free to send me a message, letting me know your zip code and I’ll try to locate one for you.

Under what circumstances were you able to obtain them for melt value? I hope they were not stolen.

No they weren't stolen they were passed down to someone I know after his grandfather passed and he was going to pawn them so I offered him the melt value and he gladly accepted he kept everything except the gold because there were receipts and certificates of authenticity from the us treasury for some of them dating back to 1916 these coins have been sitting in a box for close to 80 years probably the pictures really dont show you the real state of the coin it was hard to focus on them so they look blurry and scratchy the coins show no wear only a few bag Mark's and one is struck a little off center but hopefully the graders see it that way

I see coins like this all the time. I've never seen a certificate of authenticity from the US Treasury from 1916. Any chance that you could post a photo of that ?

I regret when we have to share this feedback but unless you have more gold coins than you noted above, or special dates not included above, you are looking at less than $5000 for all the coins even if they are graded low Mint State.  You will not lose money if you paid melt value unless they all grade as Details from cleaning or such.  Best of luck with the process. 

Hard to tell from photos, but I thought the double eagle and eagle looked pretty nice, perhaps MS-62.  I can't grade incuse indians in hand let along from photos, so good luck this them.  If you paid melt, that would be about $2,500 for the $39.50 face I see in the photos, which wouldn't be a bad deal at all, so long as they are all genuine.

I had the 3 pcgs authorized dealers in my area  look at them and one said the 1926 10$ Indian was a Lebanese counterfeit but but he offered me 600$ for it anyway and he claimed that the R in liberty was an omega symbol but I've studied the coin extensively and I see no signs of a counterfeit well see what happens but I'm gonna to spend the money and get em graded 

The Omega counterfeit with an omega in the R was the 1882 three dollar gold, not a 1926 eagle.  And the Omega counterfeits were not Lebanese counterfeits.  I don't know, he may be right about the eagle being a Lebanese counterfeit, but it almost certainly isn't an Omega counterfeit.

16 hours ago, Datdude88 said:

I had the 3 pcgs authorized dealers in my area  look at them and one said the 1926 10$ Indian was a Lebanese counterfeit but but he offered me 600$ for it anyway and he claimed that the R in liberty was an omega symbol but I've studied the coin extensively and I see no signs of a counterfeit well see what happens but I'm gonna to spend the money and get em graded 

Please let us know how it turns out. Raw gold is harder for a collector to sell what with counterfeits and all. I think the money will be well spent even if they grade below your expectations. 

$600.00 for a 'Lebanese' counterfeit $10 Indian?  I don't know who you showed it to but right there I'd be a little suspicious of the transaction. 

You can buy a PCGS or NGC AU 58 for $849.00 today.  I wouldn't pay anyone $600.00 for a fake.  Just IMHO.

5 hours ago, Alex in PA. said:

$600.00 for a 'Lebanese' counterfeit $10 Indian?  I don't know who you showed it to but right there I'd be a little suspicious of the transaction. 

You can buy a PCGS or NGC AU 58 for $849.00 today.  I wouldn't pay anyone $600.00 for a fake.  Just IMHO.

Suspicious for sure, but if it tested out as gold and weighed right, it would be worth $600+ as melt. 

I think they're definitely more valuable than they're willing to let on I'm definitely getting them graded thanks alot for your imput this was taken with a way better camera 

212f_crop_470x484.jpg

212b_crop_450x449.jpg

4 hours ago, LINCOLNMAN said:

Suspicious for sure, but if it tested out as gold and weighed right, it would be worth $600+ as melt. 

And if it was a Lebanese counterfeit it would test out as gold, and would most likely be the proper fineness and weight if not a little higher.

10 hours ago, LINCOLNMAN said:

Right you are; it's possible that a counterfeit could contain the same weight in gold but......

as I said I wouldn't pay $600.00 fpr a fake I'd rather pay additional $300.00 for an authentic Indian in MS shape.  Thanks for your reply.

Well know for sure now that the OP s having them graded.  The smart way IMO>

17 hours ago, Alex in PA. said:

You can buy an MS 63 for less than the AU58 price you quoted. $600 for a counterfeit made of gold would be a far better value than an AU58 for $849.

From the pictures shown all appear to have light rub but really need to have them in hand. In my opinion 300 bucks in submission fees would be a good school house for you as a beginner because if you sell them raw to the wrong dealer you could lose that much on one or two coins.

3 hours ago, MarkFeld said:

You can buy an MS 63 for less than the AU58 price you quoted. $600 for a counterfeit made of gold would be a far better value than an AU58 for $849.

The lowest Buy It Now 1909 $10 Indian on EBay is a PCGS MS 63 @ $1500.00.  Please direct me to those selling for $600.00 and I'll jump on that.

25 minutes ago, Alex in PA. said:

The lowest Buy It Now 1909 $10 Indian on EBay is a PCGS MS 63 @ $1500.00.  Please direct me to those selling for $600.00 and I'll jump on that.

The supposed counterfeit was said to be a 1926, not a 1909. Before posting what I did previously, I loooked up and found sales of MS63 1926’s for less than the $849 figure you used.

In addition to that, if you’re looking to determine values for coins, typically (though not always), records for sold items are far more relevant than asking prices for unsold ones.

Yea I'm about 110% sure they're all real the old man was a coin collector and was even buying coins from the treasury since at least 1916 that was the date on the envelope that he purchased a draped bust quarter in with the certificate of authenticity. Sad to say I was only able to get about an 1/8th of the collection he was damn near giving them away and he was even carrying most of them loose in a fanny pack if I would have gotten to him sooner I would probably be holding about 15 gold coins in possibly ms66 -69 quality  and a fortune in other denominations this guy should be tried for treason for the blatant disrespect to us history and for basically burning 100k in value 

11 hours ago, Datdude88 said:

The old man was a coin collector and was even buying coins from the treasury since at least 1916 that was the date on the envelope that he purchased a draped bust quarter in with the certificate of authenticity.

The only thing a collector could buy directly from the Treasury in 1916 would have been proof coins of the current year, or a few business strike coins for that year and possibly the previous few years.  He couldn't have purchased a draped bust quarter from them, and they also would not have provided a "Certificate of Authenticity".

9 hours ago, Conder101 said:

The only thing a collector could buy directly from the Treasury in 1916 would have been proof coins of the current year, or a few business strike coins for that year and possibly the previous few years.  He couldn't have purchased a draped bust quarter from them, and they also would not have provided a "Certificate of Authenticity".

Well he did and he kept buying coins this was purchased in 89 

20190318_131704_crop_604x604.jpg

20190318_131717_crop_604x894.jpg

Those pictures only serve to show that the coins were NOT purchased through the Treasury.

It appears that you don't have a good grasp of either the grading of the gold coins or the specifics of how the various coins were obtained. Regardless, best of luck with your submission.