• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Collection is Soon to be Complete...

23 posts in this topic

Since it is 6a.m. and I am super tired, I am going to cheat a little bit and copy and paste my FB post here to the forum. It was a long one and I don't use voice to text so I'd likely be here for another hour. Plus, well it's just easier that way. Before I do though, let me say that Monday is a milestone for me and the interest I've developed in Numismatics and a lot of that interest was molded by this Forum and the great people associated with it.

Y'all do enjoy your weekend. Ta-ta!

Welp, I been getting my collection ready to put together on Monday when my SLQ arrives. Since this is my first and it all kind of started with the frame I fell in love with and TJ got me last year for Mother's Day (actually it started when I was 11 and revamped after Dad passed), I fully intend to put my coins into that frame and hang it up on display. BUT, what I am going to do differently is that I put my coins into plastic flips and will glue the flips to the sticky paper in the frame so I don't get the glue all over my coins, see. I had a hell of a time getting the glue off the coins that were already in it when I received it. Thankful to the guys on the NGC Forum for gettimg me through that. Especially one called Conder-I hope I got that right this time. Poor guy, I been calling him Condor for a year now. SMDH. He never said a word. Anywhooo... I learned a valuable Numistical lesson and not the hard way.  I am oober excited for Monday's Mailcall to come. Whoop ! Whoop! 

That's awesome Karen!  I'm with Bob....I want to see the display when it's done.  It sounds pretty cool.  The system you have devised with the flips sounds like a good one to both protect your coins and allow you to place them in the frame. 

On 3/3/2019 at 2:34 PM, Mohawk said:

That's awesome Karen!  I'm with Bob....I want to see the display when it's done.  It sounds pretty cool.  The system you have devised with the flips sounds like a good one to both protect your coins and allow you to place them in the frame. 

Welp, my idea didn't work so well, but the holes are fairly tight so idky the previous owner used that awful sticky paper. Here comes the finished product..

It won't allow my photo. But if you want to see it for real, I invite you to my FB page, Karen Elizabeth Holcomb or to my main FB group, https://www.facebook.com/groups/487835041590151/ 

And you'll find it there. Sorry, but thanks for all y'alls support this past year.

Interesting, Karen, how you couldn't get your computer photos to load on this NGC site.

I just came through a 3 hour troubleshoot of my Apple MacBook Pro, to get it to work because it froze when I had email and Internet running, and then I opened Photos, and upon on/off button restart I got the Green Apple of Doom "insanity" screen.

I can post photos from the Internet (just not my computer, which risks the screen freeze up) and here's what the Green Apple of Doom looks like:

image.png.1cabda0d686a489c50dc3b3e517c0be2.png

Bob

The green apple of doom. That's funny.

Yeah, for me the site will never allow more than a certain size or something. Shows a giant warning but then occasionally it will let me put them into the comments. Idk? I will try again and screenshot the alert that pops up.

Yep, Mr Show, it is a closed group, but a great one all the same. I am very picky and have been in many groups only to depart days and sometimes hours after joining, mostly because I don't play well with rudipoos and find it hard to hold my tongue. I do wish I could show all these guys cause they are the ones that have helped me to learn the most about the Numistics world and I owe them a peek at what I accomplished. I hate that it won't let me. Heck, I even bought some of the coins from these guys! 

Welp! Lookie there! It's accepting it! 

0306190330b-1-1-1-1.jpg

2 hours ago, Just Bob said:

Very nice display. Well done, Karen!:golfclap:

Thanks Bob. It's likely the only one I will do like that. I just love the Moon, and whole Kennedy deal, and I did try to use as many bi-centennial coins as were spaces for because 76 was an great year for me, and I just really liked the whole look of it. 

3 minutes ago, KarenHolcomb said:

Thanks Bob. It's likely the only onw I will do lime that. I just love the Moon, and whole Kennedy deal, and I did try to use as many bi-centennial coins as were spaces for because 76 was an great year for me, and I just really liked the whole look of it. 

Wow, that's cool. I like that

Very nice Karen, very nice indeed!  That's really sharp!  I'd love something similar for Canadian coins.  You picked some very nice coins for your collection, too.  I wasn't around yet in 1976, but it's the year that my parents moved to Turkey, where they lived for four years and where I was almost born, so it's an important year for my family.  I have a soft spot for the Bicentennial coins too, because they were also minted in 1975, which is by my best estimate when my pet turtle Lenny was born.  I've had him for almost 30 years and he's still with me and doing well......not many people still have one of their childhood animal friends when they are 38, but I do!  So, Karen, what's your next collecting adventure going to be?

On 3/8/2019 at 9:29 PM, coinsandmedals said:

Very nice! Congrats on reaching your goal! So what is next? 

I do not know yet. For now I am building up Proofs Sets until I find something I really like.

On 3/8/2019 at 11:08 PM, Mohawk said:

Very nice Karen, very nice indeed!  That's really sharp!  I'd love something similar for Canadian coins.  You picked some very nice coins for your collection, too.  I wasn't around yet in 1976, but it's the year that my parents moved to Turkey, where they lived for four years and where I was almost born, so it's an important year for my family.  I have a soft spot for the Bicentennial coins too, because they were also minted in 1975, which is by my best estimate when my pet turtle Lenny was born.  I've had him for almost 30 years and he's still with me and doing well......not many people still have one of their childhood animal friends when they are 38, but I do!  So, Karen, what's your next collecting adventure going to be?

I'm gonna have to tell my friend Lenny about Lenny the turtle. Idk what I'll choose next but for now am building my collection of Proofs. I have been looking at the token world and there are so.e interesting designs there. But who knows. We shall see.

On 3/8/2019 at 9:29 PM, coinsandmedals said:

Very nice! Congrats on reaching your goal! So what is next? 

Come to think of it Mr. Coins and Medals, 2 if not 3 of the coins in this collection likely came from you. 

6 hours ago, KarenHolcomb said:

Come to think of it Mr. Coins and Medals, 2 if not 3 of the coins in this collection likely came from you. 

Oh wow I am proud to know that! I am glad I was able to help! It really is a nice set. I bet it looks even better in hand.