• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need advice on 1500 Silver Dollars

39 posts in this topic

I've noticed a few differences on some of them already.

One question I have.  I noticed the rim of two coins of the same year had 2 very distinct thicknesses. Is that common? Even to my untrained eye I could spot how 1 coin was at least 20% thicker than the other.

I just noticed two of them had a sticker on them with a hand-written date of 1981.  That must have been when my dad bought the later batch.

I have almost zero interest in Morgans/Peace dollars, but if I suddenly got 1500 I would begin to get interested! 

As there is no rush I would do what you have done, sorting by dates/mint marks and then keep them in tubes. 

Next up, 'buy the book' and start learning about VAMs.  Any treasures by condition, eye appeal, value (over $200 is a good metric IMO) send in for slabbing.  Otherwise keep an album for the interesting coins (or a row box with inert flips and labels), keep the rest in tubes. 

If I ever felt the need to sell for cash, the tubes would be the first to go. 

You might find you are now interested in the coins, or at least can sell them at your leisure.  Shoot, you could probably sell the 'junk' ones to fund any buys if you do decide to make it a collection.

You already have a collector mentality, you just might find you are sucked into coins after all!  Or, the bullion is a nice little hedge.  Shoot at current prices, you have a tidy little sum there!

3 hours ago, Star City Homer said:

I have almost zero interest in Morgans/Peace dollars, but if I suddenly got 1500 I would begin to get interested! 

As there is no rush I would do what you have done, sorting by dates/mint marks and then keep them in tubes. 

Next up, 'buy the book' and start learning about VAMs.  Any treasures by condition, eye appeal, value (over $200 is a good metric IMO) send in for slabbing.  Otherwise keep an album for the interesting coins (or a row box with inert flips and labels), keep the rest in tubes. 

If I ever felt the need to sell for cash, the tubes would be the first to go. 

You might find you are now interested in the coins, or at least can sell them at your leisure.  Shoot, you could probably sell the 'junk' ones to fund any buys if you do decide to make it a collection.

You already have a collector mentality, you just might find you are sucked into coins after all!  Or, the bullion is a nice little hedge.  Shoot at current prices, you have a tidy little sum there!

I've began collecting coins in 1982 when I was 10 years old, but then got into comic books at age 12. By 17 I stopped collecting coins altogether & went fully into comic books (and then later original comic art). In 2011 I got back into coins here & there, but my experience is pretty limited.  I still have about 10 coins I bought as a kid, but had sold the rest to help buy my 1st car.   I had a pretty impressive little Indian Head Penny/Flying Eagle collection when I was 14-15, only have 1 of them left, a BU 1892.

Edited by Timely

Question for any who might be willing to answer.  If you had $100 to spend on Morgans, would you buy a lot of 5 Morgans or 1 lower grade CC Morgan?

I'm not a Morgan collector, so if I had to, I'd probably spend the $100 on the CC, assuming the date/grade lined up with the price. Just from the personal standpoint that I'd rather have one coin that somebody else might want, instead of 5 coins that I don't want and nobody else does either. 5 for $100 is around melt/cull price for the others, so if I was a Morgan collector, I might pick that instead if there were dates/mints that I needed and I didn't need that particular CC. If I was just into stacking silver, I'd probably pass on 5 for $100, and expect to pay more like $65. It all depends on the collector.

Sweet Load of Silver....my mouth was watering and I started to get really excited....my previous post to you stands....AND THANK YOU FOR TAKING MY ADVICE!!!

I'm not always that open but when my cup (I mean  pitcher) runs over....

Holler if you have any questions on varieties or anything.....Love them Coins!!!!

On 11/20/2019 at 3:54 PM, Numismatic, A.A.S. said:

Sweet Load of Silver....my mouth was watering and I started to get really excited....my previous post to you stands....AND THANK YOU FOR TAKING MY ADVICE!!!

I'm not always that open but when my cup (I mean  pitcher) runs over....

Holler if you have any questions on varieties or anything.....Love them Coins!!!!

Thanks!  Love the enthusiasm!