• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HK-398 SCDs freshly graded by our hosts...opinions?

11 posts in this topic

Very nice examples! (thumbsu

As I usually do when introduced to a new coin, token, or medal, I did a little searching, and came up with this tidbit:

"The Panama Canal Completion medal was carried on the SS Cristobal during the unofficial first ocean-to-ocean crossing of the canal; the test trip occurred on 3 August 1914. The official "first trip" came on 15 August 1914 and was completed by the SS Ancon, the sister ship of the Cristobal. The Ancon trip carried government officials, foreign diplomats, assorted invited VIPs and members of the press, but not the medals.

A total of 50,000 serial numbered medals were on board the Cristobal. Many of the medals were distributed to government, industry and religious leaders around the world, a number were given to members of the press who were covering the canal's opening. The entire mintage was not distributed, however, and specimens were available and being sold within the Canal Zone Commissaries into the mid-1920s for $1.00 each."

I also discovered that the design was suggested by a Miss Elizabeth Rodman, a relative of Captain Hugh Rodman (USN), who was the then superintendent of marine transportation for the canal.

I didn't even know these existed until this post, but then again, I'm not a collector of US stuff and I mostly sell US moderns, so that means essentially nothing.  What Bob found was interesting, though.  As far as the pricing on the 66, I'm not sure what to tell you.....you may have something that hasn't been sold in that grade for a long time, if one of these in 66 has ever been sold period.  If you're looking to sell it, it may be something you have to consign to an auction and see what happens.

Edited by Mohawk

I purchased these awhile back because I liked the design and history.  I have been purchasing SCDs off and on since. Not necessarily in a specific focus, but more of what appeals to me. At one point I had a dozen or so of these. Most were high serial numbers. I saved these three because they had the best eye appeal. Some of these can be damn ugly.

Cheers

Bob

If you log onto Heritage Auctions (www.ha.com) and register you can look up past sale prices of slabbed graded coins/medals. The dollar figure you see will include a 20% buyers premium that was added on top of the winning bid. You will see HK-398 MS63's going between $200-$225, MS64's $275-$325, MS65's $575-$705. There are no recorded MS66 sales.

That's a great find. Can't find anything on ms66 either. But the 65 sold in 2014 for $700 with 19 bidding. 

Supply and demand. Probably go for twice as much as you could get for that 65. 

Good luck. 

Screenshot_20190509-100123.png