• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NGC Certifies Rare 1943 Copper Cent

15 posts in this topic

It's interesting that there are examples of this coin out there that are still raw....you'd think that they'd have all taken a trip through a TPG by this point, but it just goes to show you that you never know what may still turn up out there.  Now, if only I could find myself a 1969 Large Date Canadian Dime...........

2 hours ago, Mohawk said:

It's interesting that there are examples of this coin out there that are still raw....you'd think that they'd have all taken a trip through a TPG by this point, but it just goes to show you that you never know what may still turn up out there.  Now, if only I could find myself a 1969 Large Date Canadian Dime...........

Keep searching. It's out there somewhere!! :)

Had a guy here in town found a 1965 silver dime. Had it graded and certified by NGC. I was born in 1955, so I would love to find an in the wild 1955 DDO.

57 minutes ago, Six Mile Rick said:

Keep searching. It's out there somewhere!! :)

I will Rick, that I will!  They estimate that there are maybe still 10 or so out in the wild.  I'm in Upstate NY, pretty close to Canada, so I'm in a good location for it, too.  Who knows?  Maybe it'll happen!

50 minutes ago, MorganMan said:

Had a guy here in town found a 1965 silver dime. Had it graded and certified by NGC. I was born in 1955, so I would love to find an in the wild 1955 DDO.

That's a pretty crazy find!  One off metal error I'd love to find would be a 1969 silver Canadian Quarter, but as far as I know those have only been found as PL coins that were "backdoor jobs" at the RCM.  An in the wild '55 DDO may not be impossible......it could happen!  I was born in 1980, so I can't really think of anything too special from my birth year I'd like to find......maybe a 1980 Canadian PL coin with cameo contrast, but I don't think that even exists.  Keep checking your cents and good luck!

19 hours ago, USAuPzlBxBob said:

Exactly where is the scratch?  On the right rim?

It's a very beautiful penny.

There are numerous things I would call scratches - Above the Liberty there is a "v" type scratch in the field above it. Also between 2-3 o'clock position

there are numerous scratches on the rim. I would say the rim is the more unsightly ones to me. My two cents of course 

I found a penny outside all rusted. Not thinking it was worth much I experimented with removing the rust myself.  I used fresh lemon juice, salt, and a couple aspirin.  It in very poor quality with rust spots still on both sides. However the date is coming thru. It is a 1943 and it is copper. I have stopped my cleaning process and I am now going to send to NGC and pay them to do what they can and grade it. I am sure I have ruined it with my cleaning method but would have never known what year it was unless I did what I did. It will come back damaged but it is 1943 S. Hope its not a fake we will see.  

1 hour ago, get lucky said:

I found a penny outside all rusted. Not thinking it was worth much I experimented with removing the rust myself.  I used fresh lemon juice, salt, and a couple aspirin.  It in very poor quality with rust spots still on both sides. However the date is coming thru. It is a 1943 and it is copper. I have stopped my cleaning process and I am now going to send to NGC and pay them to do what they can and grade it. I am sure I have ruined it with my cleaning method but would have never known what year it was unless I did what I did. It will come back damaged but it is 1943 S. Hope its not a fake we will see.  

It can't be copper if it is rusted, copper does not rust.  Why don't you post some pictures here for an opinion before spending the money to send it in?

Back in the 70's I saw an ad in a magazine about the 1943 copper cent.  They were paying 10K at that time.  I have been looking over my change every since.   Although, I think the odds are better at winning the Powerball, than finding one...  

4 hours ago, comicdonna said:

Back in the 70's I saw an ad in a magazine about the 1943 copper cent.  They were paying 10K at that time.  I have been looking over my change every since.   Although, I think the odds are better at winning the Powerball, than finding one...  

Considering how many cents have been minted, are currently buried in "change jars" and been searched who knows how many times, I'd estimate you are correct.

13 hours ago, l.cutler said:

It can't be copper if it is rusted, copper does not rust. 

That was my first thought, as well. If it rusts, it has to be steel.