• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What you need to know about posting coins for inquiry
1 1

113 posts in this topic

59 minutes ago, JKK said:

This could be really fun, then. Don't know about anyone here, but I'm sick to death of seeing threads (sometimes three about the same coin if instant reply is not forthcoming within minutes) about someone's modern, common, mechanical doubling coin where they post just a tiny portion of one side of the coin. Then they weep openly that the pic was too big to post the whole coin, let alone both sides. They evidently have never heard of image editors, many of which are free and will allow one to crop a photo and save it in much more data-economical form. Nope, that would be work, and the rule is "do the work for me--don't put me to any trouble."

Hahaha. I understand. I am an Admin on a Ford Truck website....so I deal with "newbies" over there all the time. Its okay to be a newbie. However, we live in a society of instant gratification, so I learn to expect it. I try to not be that annoying newb.

So, you mention that this could be fun. So lets have some fun! I started a thread about Papaws Collection. 

It seems as though it has to be approved before it shows up. If/when its approved, join me in that thread, and we can have some fun! I am exploring this collection as much as you guys are!

Edited by RWC III

4 minutes ago, RWC III said:

Hahaha. I understand. I am an Admin on a Ford Truck website....so I deal with "newbies" over there all the time. Its okay to be a newbie. However, we live in a society of instant gratification, so I learn to expect it. I try to not be that annoying newb.

So, you mention that this could be fun. So lets have some fun! I started a thread about Papaws Collection. 

It seems as though it has to be approved before it shows up. If/when its approved, join me in that thread, and we can have some fun! I am exploring this collection as much as you guys are!

Right this moment it says I don't have permission to see it, but I look forward to when I can.

28 minutes ago, RWC III said:

Did you start your thread in the "ASK NGC" forum? If so, they may move it to the "Newbie" section, or you can just create a new thread here.

4 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

Did you start your thread in the "ASK NGC" forum? If so, they may move it to the "Newbie" section, or you can just create a new thread here.

Yes, I did put it in the ASK NGC. I will wait to see what they do with it. I don't want to go about creating multiple threads right away. I am sure an admin will put it in its proper place. I am still getting a feel for the setup of this forum.

I am currently out of town on business and brought my collection with me. To pass the time, and for the entertainment of the more advanced numismatists, I will start posting in the Papaw thread my findings. I hope to both discover interesting facts, and to reveal something special. Crossing my fingers!! Wish me luck!! 

Now I will see if there is a thread on the proper procedure to post pics. Thanks guys. 

From the top of the Ask NGC forum:

Ask NGC/NCS

Moderator-reviewed questions answered by NGC/NCS.

Questions are only visible to the author initially, but will be made public if they're of general interest to the community.
My emphasis added. At first I was perplexed because I haven't seen anyone do it this way before, though there isn't any firm guidance in the forum as to whether one would want to do it this way or not. So here's the guidance: I'd use that forum purely for questions on the coin grading and conservation process as performed by NGC and NCS. Other questions, including ID and grading questions, are best posted in the Newbie forum (if you want to be looked at as a novice and given appropriate education) or US/World/whateverelseitis coins (if you feel a little more secure in your understanding). Not that it really matters much which one you use.
In any case, if you repost your thread in Newbie or US/World, where you will actually get replies sooner rather than later, no one's going to piddle themselves. For one thing, they can't see your original thread, so they will have no idea you reposted its contents. And again, big kudos to you for making a serious effort to figure out where to post what, and how to do so, before just diving in. It's uncommon.
Edited by JKK

10 minutes ago, JKK said:

......And again, big kudos to you for making a serious effort to figure out where to post what, and how to do so, before just diving in. It's uncommon.

Yeah no problem. I'm an admin on another site, and I play the "clean-up" game all the time. So, I "get-it". I'll take your advice, and re-post it.

I look forward to seeing "Papaw Collection" Too. I am sort of a new coin collector, but love seeing what others find or have,  I kind of get tired of hear about the error coins, that are nothing. It's kind of sad you will be getting rid of some or all of it, but a nice piece of land on the White river would be great too.

Sometimes it can be a letdown. I devoutly hope that RWCIII's stuff bucks the trend, but I've seen it a lot: people figure their forebears for Great Numismatists, and then when the collection comes under scrutiny, ummmmm....we have to break bad news to them. I have seen it in person with a number of collections, including that of my father-in-law. One local lady I helped with her deceased husband's collection pretty much turned pale when I told her its market value, because she was still dealing with the bills for some of the purchases and it was way underwater. Another, I helped liquidate $150K in US gold. She too had seen what dad had paid for the coins; vanished wealth, though obviously not all of it vanished. But two of them were faky enough-looking that even I, knowing little about US gold coins, noted them for potential problems. It sucked to be right. Anyway, yeah, by all means bring 'em on, and let's hope that they run counter to the trend.

11 minutes ago, JKK said:

.....I devoutly hope that RWCIII's stuff bucks the trend.......Anyway, yeah, by all means bring 'em on, and let's hope that they run counter to the trend.

Just to be clear JKK, I am not getting my hopes up. Nor do I want to convey to you guys that I think I have something special. I am fully prepared to accept the coins and paper bills for what they are, and for what their market value is. 

If they aren't anything special, I will keep it all and pass them down to my two sons. If I have something worth a retirement, well, Papaw will be looking down smiling and thinking "Your welcome bubba!", and I will buy my wife that land she wants. Raisin cattle and fishin trout in Arkansas Ozarks.....that is my idea of the good life. 

17 minutes ago, RWC III said:

If I have something worth a retirement, well, Papaw will be looking down smiling and thinking "Your welcome bubba!", and I will buy my wife that land she wants. Raisin cattle and fishin trout in Arkansas Ozarks.....that is my idea of the good life. 

Fishing in the Ozarks is my idea of the good life, also. Don't forget to add on a guest room for me. :wink:

8 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

Fishing in the Ozarks is my idea of the good life, also. Don't forget to add on a guest room for me. :wink:

If this comes about, you are morally obligated to post a pic of you both playing (or pretending to play) banjos.

I cannot seem to edit this post any more, so I'll add this: please DO make sure that your thread title tells what kind of coin and situation you are asking about. That will draw responses from people with knowledge and interest relevant to your coin.

I guess I need to bump this one again, since I can no longer edit it. Maybe I should copy and repost it.

Oh, for the love of pete. What do some newbie posts have in common with menopause? NO PERIODS.

Would it really harm people writing twelve lines of text if they were to end some sentences with punctuation and start new ones?

Otherwise it reads like this except usually there are far more misspelled words because that seems par for the course I know that nowadays people are typing on their phones and with educational standards in the toilet people can barely write anyway but please think about those of us who have to try and make sense of this *spoon* it really gets tiring and you gain nothing from making us struggle to help you this reads so garbage it would surprise me if anyone were still reading it but somehow one needs to get the message across as to how unhelpful this is let's go back to basics sentences are supposed to begin with upper case in English and end with a period question mark or exclamation point it might amaze you how much clearer your writing can be if you will bother to learn that simple truth if you do not then do not be surprised if no one replies to your posts because I for one am not going to shovel my way through this sort of *spoon* any more I have better things to do and I suspect most regulars do as well at least except for one or two who are regulars from under the bridge if you know what I mean anyway by now I trust I have made my point not that I expect it to make much difference in the ultimate outcome.

Well said JKK and I couldn't agree with you more. I have seen some posts about 12 lines long without a single period. If you had to read it out loud you would be out of breath before you finished. Another pet peeves of mine is people who think they are texting instead of posting on a forum and use abbreviations for words. I guess I must be getting old but I think there is still a place for proper grammar somewhere in this world. Trouble is few newbies will take the time to read this posting, it is easier to just post something and let others figure out what they are asking.

48 minutes ago, Greenstang said:

Trouble is few newbies will take the time to read this posting, it is easier to just post something and let others figure out what they are asking.

Which same: if we didn't respond, they wouldn't be given a pass for it.

Where on earth fid this post go anyway?! I am so confused right now that my head may actually be spinning around with pea soup erupting from my mouth.

Here's another that seems necessary:

Please do not refer to coins as being "stamped" (unless you mean a countermark or counterstamp; if you know what those are, you know the difference) or "printed." When you use those terms, you sound ignorant. Even if you in fact are ignorant, ignorance is to be cured rather than embraced. Coins are "struck" or "minted."

21 minutes ago, JKK said:

Here's another that seems necessary:

Please do not refer to coins as being "stamped" (unless you mean a countermark or counterstamp; if you know what those are, you know the difference) or "printed." When you use those terms, you sound ignorant. Even if you in fact are ignorant, ignorance is to be cured rather than embraced. Coins are "struck" or "minted."

Yet can body parts, fenders for example, are deemed to be stamped, and the process is rather similar looking. 

38 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

Yet can body parts, fenders for example, are deemed to be stamped, and the process is rather similar looking. 

That's wonderful, Kurt. When NGC starts a a forum for the grading of body parts and other metallic non-coin goods, there will be absolutely no shame in referring to those as "stamped."

I’ve been trying to come up with a distinction over what is striking and what is stamping, and I thought I had it once. I figured if the basic macro shape of the item remained the same, then that was striking. Stamping alters the very shape of the piece. But then along comes these verkockte curved coins and I’m back to square one. :roflmao:

On 2/25/2019 at 4:01 PM, KarenHolcomb said:

Oh my! How horrible of me. Conder, I do apologize especially since I have likely been doing that all along.  I AM SOOO FREAKING SORRY, DUDE.

Dudette Karen😎 I'm an old stoner surfer so I know the lingo. The waves are overhead and burly. 

On 10/22/2020 at 10:55 AM, VKurtB said:

It's all coming together for me now. :grin:

I miss you VKurtB. Must be busy building your still in Alabamy. Im thinking about adding cents and nickels into my Christmas candles.Only the parking lot ones of course. The MS coins will be sent in for grading starting the New Year. Happy Holidays. 🕯🎄🍾🎅🕎☃️

Edited by Modwriter
Edit

On 2/23/2019 at 11:28 PM, KarenHolcomb said:

Better be careful JKK, they might want you to become a moderator, or worse-AN ADMIN. Lol! I have always tried to do it correctly but spoonfuls I hate not getting any response at all. Even a Karen you have lost your mind is better than nothing.

JKK, thank you for the detailed guidelines. I’ve seen boards where this info would have been very helpful. I’m going to edit and reformat my pics now and will do my best to post without being an annoying newby. 😁 I appreciate everyone who volunteers their time and expertise, as it will hopefully give me some insight and save me some money if it doesn’t make sense to have my coin graded professionally. So thanks again for doing a sometimes thankless job!

Is it just me...or did the activity in the NEWBIE section increase a ton in recent weeks/months ? 

Maybe I never focused on it before, but I would see threads falling down from lack of activity and just aging with no new posts....now, I see tons of New Threads started and lots of activity and posts on them.

Maybe an NGC Mod can chime in or a veteran poster and watcher of the Newbie section.