• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1985 p quarter question

5 posts in this topic

I grabbed some quarters out of my pocket to checkout. Is there a difference between weight. I know silver suppose to weigh 6.1 but copper quarter is supposed to be 5.67. I'm weighing other quarters 5.67 or more. This guy is going back and forth from 5.46 to 5.43.

20190221_190222.jpg

Hey Hinkle,

Your coin is slightly light, but within tolerance for a clad quarter.  As you already stated, the target weight for a clad quarter is 5.67 grams, but it can be either lighter or heavier by .227 grams and still be in legal tolerance.  I subtracted .227 from 5.67 and arrived at 5.443.....about the weight of your coin.  Since it is still within tolerance, it's worth no premium and is just spending money.

Better luck next time!

Cheers!

~Tom

2 minutes ago, Mohawk said:

Hey Hinkle,

Your coin is slightly light, but within tolerance for a clad quarter.  As you already stated, the target weight for a clad quarter is 5.67 grams, but it can be either lighter or heavier by .227 grams and still be in legal tolerance.  I subtracted .227 from 5.67 and arrived at 5.443.....about the weight of your coin.  Since it is still within tolerance, it's worth no premium and is just spending money.

Better luck next time!

Cheers!

~Tom

Cool, thank you.