• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1916 quarter authentic or a fake? Help

14 posts in this topic

Well....I have some bad news for you.....that's a definite fake.  There are diagnostics that differ between the 1916 and the 1917 Type 1 Coins, but the most glaring issue is that your coin has a Type 2 reverse with the three stars below the eagle.  That reverse was introduced in the later part of 1917, along with the Type 2 obverse.  No 1916 coin would carry that reverse style.

2 minutes ago, Mohawk said:

Well....I have some bad news for you.....that's a definite fake.  There are diagnostics that differ between the 1916 and the 1917 Type 1 Coins, but the most glaring issue is that your coin has a Type 2 reverse with the three stars below the eagle.  That reverse was introduced in the later part of 1917, along with the Type 2 obverse.  No 1916 coin would carry that reverse style.

No thank you I did not purchase it before asking around. ThankyouThank you

2 minutes ago, TON Collection said:

No thank you I did not purchase it before asking around. ThankyouThank you

Good!  You definitely don't want to spend money on that coin.  If you're in the market for a 1916 Standing Liberty Quarter, I'd recommend getting one already graded by NGC or PCGS......with that amount of money on the line, you'd be much better off buying a certified example.  Then there's no worries.  You know you're getting a genuine coin for your money.  There are many fake 1916 Standing Liberty Quarters out there.  Most of them are easily detected by someone with experience,like the one you posted, but there are some that are frighteningly convincing.

Cheers!

~Tom

Edited by Mohawk

Yeah I thought it was. Fake to I like to post this fake to keep us on our toes. The big toe wasn’t right Amd the drapery not proper as well as the color. I just couldn’t believe the guy selling it still thinks it is real and just won’t settle for the truth. It’s to a point now you just tel him yeah it’s real so it doesn’t get ugly if you know what I meanlol

I have the same question.  Is this Type-1 Standing Liberty quarter (breast exposed) real?  There's a horizontal oxidation line visible under some lights but that could be an artifact of the cleaning/de-oxidizing process, I suppose.  The line is most visible at an angle and with no flash.  See the first photo.  The others are the two sides, and are taken more or less straight on from above, and with the flash.  The absence of stars under the eagle, and the "tail" on Liberty's hair, seem right for Type 1.

Thank you.

Standing Liberty Quarter 1917 Type 1  Reverse no flash  angle Annot.jpg

Standing Liberty Quarter 1917 Type 1 Reverse no flash.jpg

Untitled.jpg

Edited by Colonel Fred Puntridge

8 hours ago, Colonel Fred Puntridge said:

I have the same question.  Is this Type-1 Standing Liberty quarter (breast exposed) real?  There's a horizontal oxidation line visible under some lights but that could be an artifact of the cleaning/de-oxidizing process, I suppose.  The line is most visible at an angle and with no flash.  See the first photo.  The others are the two sides, and are taken more or less straight on from above, and with the flash.  The absence of stars under the eagle, and the "tail" on Liberty's hair, seem right for Type 1.

Thank you.

Standing Liberty Quarter 1917 Type 1  Reverse no flash  angle Annot.jpg

Standing Liberty Quarter 1917 Type 1 Reverse no flash.jpg

Untitled.jpg

The coin looks genuine, but noticeably cleaned.