• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ngc vs pcgs

11 posts in this topic

Hi I am new to collecting libertads and was wondering why pcgs coins (same exact grade) were so much higher than ngc coins i see on ebay one is ngc selling for almost 200 dollars and 3 other pcgs for about 425  there others also my question is does pcgs command a premium over ngc

Unless you look at sold listings, the information doesn't say much. Anyone can list anything for sale at any price; the question is what did people pay.

PCGS slabbed coins tend to sell at a slightly higher premium than NGC, but I don't personally subscribe to that market determined value.  I have both PCGS graded coins and NGC, but primarily NGC.  These are the top two grading companies.

6 minutes ago, JKK said:

Unless you look at sold listings, the information doesn't say much. Anyone can list anything for sale at any price; the question is what did people pay.

thanks for your reply. It just struck me as odd that 3 pcgs listed so much higher i never saw a ngc listed higher than a pcgs probably coincidence thanks again

Just now, chilliiman said:

thanks for your reply. It just struck me as odd that 3 pcgs listed so much higher i never saw a ngc listed higher than a pcgs probably coincidence thanks again

It would be worth researching the sold listings to see if that trend proves out when people plunk down their Paypals.

2 hours ago, chilliiman said:

i will do that btw is there a mexican coin forum

Not a specific one, at least not here. There is a combined, US, World and Ancient forum and I think we've got some good knowledge there about Mexican coinage.

Misnomer that all PCGS coins are worth more. NGC graded coins are just as much valuable, just as some ANACS graded coins can be also. In everything there are Cadillac's and Pintos....Do both get you there? Resale value maybe different but if you look at the coin and not the holder you will see what is determined to be valued more by the market...I prefer NGC coins, but had to purchase PCGS CAC stickered plastic to obtain somewhat of Rarities...buy the coin not the holder and you will end up with NGC....just compare both companies coins they grade....no difference to me, I've seen sub par PCGS coins before....peace

I have converted the entire fraction of my (small) US Gold collection, that was PCGS, over to NGC.

Everything is now NGC.  (Got two "+" upgrades out of the 3 converted coins.)

Now I'm upgrading many of the old NGC holders to Scratch-Resistant Edge View holders, and half of my collection is currently being looked at by CAC for "beaning."

The coins that are being re-holdered (right now) by NGC all had CAC "beans" and when they come back, CAC only charges $3 per holder for their re-beaning, since the ID numbers and grades will be unchanged.

I've worked things over in my head the last week or so, and I believe that when all is "said and done," when the "dust has finally settled," and the coins are all back in my possession, I'll be north of 50% of my coins having CAC "beans."

Entire collection is 16 coins.  I'm hoping 9 will have "beans."

One of the coins is a Modern (Apollo XI), so it doesn't factor into the "bean" percentage, and the percentage could therefore be 60%.

That's pretty good, imho.

The "even" number of coins, and therefore "holders," which will all be exactly the same size, will enable the holders to be nested together in a most-compact form.

14 holders fit inside a carefully, and symmetrically, folded "comic book" size Coin Armour ziplock, and a separate, single-slab Coin Armour ziplock is used to hold the remaining 2 slabs. (a very tight fit)

These Coin Armour ziplocks involve sacrificial-copper to neutralize sulfur airborne-contaminants, and their plastic thickness walls are very heavy-duty.

They hold up really well over the years.  Really well.

Everything just fits into a single puzzle box, which fits into a diabolical lockbox, which fits into a safe, whose combination is stored in a crossword puzzle.

It is such an arduous task to reach my coins that I only view them physically once or twice a year.

(Takes hours for me to even reach them, and I know the how-to secrets.)

But it is such a pleasure to work through the impediments and restraints…

And the coins are so beautiful when deservedly seen…

And even more beautiful when seen so rarely.

In modern US I find it to be just the opposite. I think the reason is that there are a lot of PCGS at any one grade and fewer NGC. I will see a coin for $39 in PF70 for PCGS and $95 in NGC. I agree that is the asking price and does not mean a lot. When there is such a difference it not worth  my time to try and make an offer for the NGC one. I also am converting all my coins to NGC. I look quite a lot at the difference of what I paid for a PCGS and what someone is asking for the exact same coin in NGC. I wont pay extra just to replace my PCGS coins. I did send in huge batches to NGC when they were doing the conversion a while back. However they rejected quite a few as not making their grade.