• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1917 Error??

7 posts in this topic

If that was on a mint state cent it would be a grease filled die. However on a circulated coin it is hard to tell is it is damage or not. I have several mint state cents like that in the 1948 range from rolls. Mine are also in the reverse.

40 minutes ago, asdfgh said:

If that was on a mint state cent it would be a grease filled die. However on a circulated coin it is hard to tell is it is damage or not.

I agree with this. It could have been localized damage that occurred 100 years ago, and then the coin could have circulated for another 40+ years, obscuring most of the marks from the damage. With that much wear, I don't think it is possible to determine the exact cause.

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

24 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

I agree with this. It could have been localized damage that occurred 100 years ago, and then the coin could have circulated for another 40+ years, obscuring most of the marks from the damage. With that much wear, I don't think it is possible to determine the exact cause.

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Hello and Welcome!

I agree with everything Bob said.  I'm thinking damage as well, but the coin is so worn that we'll never really know what type of damage it was.  I think it was damaged early in its life and then circulated for decades, wearing down to the condition it is now with the resulting flat spot.