• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1980 Lincoln Cent DDO-001 struck on foreign planchet!

6 posts in this topic

This is an amazing coin!  I wasn't sure what the deal was with this thing until my wife pointed it out to me.  She said it looked like the Queen on a Canadian penny.  

You can see both The Queen and President Lincoln on this coin!  Besides that, it's a pretty rare doubled die obverse!  The 1980 DDO-001 usually brings at least a couple hundred I think.  But this is a major planchet error also.  Struck on foreign planchet coins sell for thousands sometimes.  So how do I put a value on this coin?  I don't know of any other varieties that have been found with a major error like this one.  I am not sure what to ask, but I know this coin is extremely valuable.  I am open to offers.  This is a coin that I can guarantee your friends won't already own!  One of a kind!  If I had the money, I would send it in to get it graded.  If anyone wants to throw in and help me pay for the grading, that would be awesome!  I still want to sell the coin though.   So please send me your best offers.  Thank you! 

And the color is a little different because the first picture is of the coin on my Merlin magnifier , so it's on a screen.  The second pic just of the coin.  

1.jpg

2.jpg

10 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

I'm afraid you are allowing your desire to find something different to influence your judgement.

Indeed.  I see a regular 1980 Lincoln Cent that appears to have some kind of damage to the obverse.  I'm a collector of Canadian coins, and I started collecting with Canadian Small Cents.  I'm very familiar with them and I see no design elements from a Canadian Small Cent on that coin whatsoever.  It's a damaged 1980 Philadelphia Cent worth face value.

My guess would be die damage, something like a die clash, where the obverse die was damaged from impact with either a misaligned reverse die or another coin.  The curved depression runs through the fields but not Lincoln's hair, and distorts but does not obscure the i in Liberty.