• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin Demand

Coin Demand  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Hey guys! Over the last few months, do you think that the demand for gold and silver coins is increasing or decreasing?

• Increasing
    • Decreasing
    • The Same

5 posts in this topic

Hello and Welcome Sarah!

Well....the first thing we need to determine is that the demand for bullion and the demand for collector coins are two different things and the two markets often behave differently.  Even different segments of the collector coin market behave differently.  As far as bullion goes, watching the spot prices can give you an idea of what the metals markets are doing and if demand is increasing or decreasing.  I don't get involved in bullion as much as collector coins, but I do like to sock some 80% Silver Canadian coins away every now and then.  From what I've seen, demand for bullion seems to be holding steady and indeed increasing.  Both gold and silver seem to be making small but steady increases in price, though platinum is still very low compared to historical prices.  APMEX is a big bullion dealer and their site shows up to date bullion prices:

https://www.apmex.com/

As far as collector coins, you'd have to get a bit more specific for me to be able give you my thoughts. 

I hope that I've helped you somewhat.

Cheers!

~Tom

Because of the timing - new mint releases just coming out - I would guess that the demand has increased recently, especially in the last month or so. Whether that applies to gold and silver across the board is something I do not know. But, based strictly on your question, I voted yes.

2 hours ago, szugelder said:

I had a guy who is educated in this area tell me the Morgan market is getting soft and now is a good time to buy. I have no data to back this up, just going on his professional opinion...

I'd say he's correct on the Morgan market being soft, but I honestly don't know if it's a good time to buy.  I have some thoughts on the US classic market that I shared here, based on my own experiences and talking with dealers and other collectors:

https://www.ngccoin.com/boards/topic/415024-confused-about-1944-penny-values/

I should amend this from earlier.  If you like Morgan Dollars because you like Morgan Dollars for their own sake and to collect them, then, yes, it's a good time to buy them.  The prices are good.  It's the financial side of it I'm unsure of.