• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Photo help/direction

7 posts in this topic

Hello. Just picked this up at a coin show and I'm having a hard time taking pics because of the slab. I'm ok with raw photos,  but I need to McGyver some sort of diffuser for the light. I can't quite capture the in hand look of this one. I know it's been discussed, so if someone can link me to a good  discussion I'd appreciate it. Thanks!!

20190217_153831-01.jpeg

20190217_154248-01.jpeg

20190217_153910-01.jpeg

My best luck when taking photos through plastic are with 2 OTT lights.  I arrange one at about 3 o'clock, and one around 10 o'clock. It takes some adjusting to get it just right so no reflections are showing.  And no overhead lights. Best to have dark room with just OTT's

The OTT lights are great for bringing out minor things, like the miniscule scratches on the face.

A couple of Morgan examples:

1883obv.jpg

1883rev.jpg

1880rev78obv.jpg

1880rev78rev.jpg

We have an ongoing discussion about pics using cell phones here cell phone photos, if your using another camera then that discussion may not be of much help.  If you are a member of the PCGS forum in the BST section a member is selling coin photo systems so you might be able to get some ideas from looking at his systems and website.