• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone headed to Baltimore/Whitman at the end of the month?

4 posts in this topic

I'll be there a bit.  My extreme rationalization is that I have a few coins to send/drop to NGC so I can save on registered mail.  Well, that and a weekend off, enough Amtrak points for a free trip, and enough hotel points for an almost reasonable cost.  Anyone else headed that way?

Review of Trade Dollars & Morgans before they go to dealers, he wants a third and forth opinion and believes since the good stuff is dry at shows this is what will make him more money.  I encouraged him to go to Auction for obvious reasons and he agreed only if it's what myself and another dealer agree on with each coin. I've never worked with the other dealer before and only agreed to collector's terms for the $$$, he chose us from the F.U.N. show, the other dealer is more well known. He started buying in 2008 and thinks now is the time and I respect his decision so far...we will convince him hopefully which price level to sell at and which to go to auction. The other dealer is more advanced than I financially and has employees. We are both honored to do this..I am excited big time! I got paid half already too, I will be there no matter what. It makes sense what said collector is doing.. he's got 6 figures into it...Not to speak bad if all dealers but they are some below average ones who steal dishonesty and some self described Top Ones who do the same. Coins are a big boy/girl game and I've seen it only get more cut throat over the years. I think auctions leveled the playing field more...:bigsmile: We definitely will be contacting Great Collections first. (I'm assuming) 

51 minutes ago, Zebo said:

I'm thinking about it.  What day/days will you be there?

My train gets in Thursday afternoon so I may or may not hit the show late in the day.  I'll have all day Friday and part of Saturday (or to go do something else) before my train leaves in the afternoon. 

A new Amtrak stop ~10 miles from my house has been a game changer.  It takes longer and the timing is a bit less convenient than driving, but who wants to drive that long anyway.  I'd rather nap and read a book!  Now, if I carried a lot of cash or valuable coins then I'd drive and make sure I did sensible stops (one time I drove with nearly all my Albanian coins for ToddCC to photo and I basically drove straight to my hotel and on the return trip hit the bathroom, fast food, and gas station on a military base...I figured that was a safer bet!).  All I have to do is convince hubs to give me a ride to/from the train, though really I could just call an Uber these days.