• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CIRC. RARITY U.S. MINT RELEASE

5 posts in this topic

Don't be looking for this to be regular errors, ie., 60% off centers, double, triple strikes, strike thru...huge die cracks.

This will be more promotional and coincide with an Anniversary or significant history date on release.

1)  Off Metal/Wrong Planchet, struck with regular circulation die, possibly new die. Dime, Nickel, or Quarter.

Quarter on Cupro/Nickel Planchet (standard), may be of Pre-1999 design Washington/Eagle reverse, but with current date. REMEMBER, the mint may have to stay within the confines of authority on striking and that leaves the above as a possibility, (unless they have special authority and don't have to follow Congressional Law).

2)   Completely new pattern die with design pertaining to Modern Artistic Talent and or War or Indian Themes.

3)   Coin with one or more different characteristics with an RFID Chip inside. 

4)   Modern rendition of a U.S. Classic Coin, weight, size, diameter....anyone's guess...

5)   Possibly a Total of 13 coins placed in strategic locations, usually a Grade School or Library or Post Office. Could also be just one or more than 13 put right into random bags or boxes off the production floor?

6)   West Point Mintmark? Philadelphia Struck? (That's where design and strike is probably taking place) 

7)   I have a hard time believing it will be Gold or Silver. 

THE ABOVE IS SPECULATION ON MY BEHALF AND I WELCOME ALL COMMENTS AND CRITICISM...WHAT DO YOU THINK?

My guess is it will be a low mintage regular circulation coin with either an S or W mintmark.  Easiest thing for them to do, and it doesn't violate any of the laws they operate under.  If they do that, then the only question becomes what they would consider to be a low mintage or a "rarity".  They are used to mintages in the hundreds of millions or billions, they may decide that 10 million is a "rarity".

11 hours ago, Conder101 said:

what they would consider to be a low mintage or a "rarity".  They are used to mintages in the hundreds of millions or billions, they may decide that 10 million is a "rarity".

That is a Smart point...they think several million is low...even at a few hundred thousand they might think is a rarity....HOW WOULD THEY DISTRIBUTE THEM?  Would we start reading about them popping up here and there in different states? If they scattered people about to release them that would get expensive and time consuming...not really feasible I guess...wonder which denomination?

I proposed a method to try and get as fair and widespread a distribution as possible.  Strike the "rarity", and send half to Philly and half to Denver, then at those mints they rig up a device that drops one coin into the conveyors of coins going past from the presses to counting and bagging at a certain set interval.  that would ensure that no ballistic bag gets more than a couple pieces.  The bags go out as regular distribution.  This would keep anyone from being able to get a large quantity of them without either buying them from collectors that find them, or buying up a lot of ballistic bags and searching them.  Since the bags get shipped to Federal Reserves and banking services all over the country it should provide a fairly wide and somewhat equitable distribution without giving someone a chance to "corner" the market.