• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lamination

5 posts in this topic

Can it be determined by this picture if this coin will holder due to the lamination above the shield? 

Also, does anyone know anything about this die variety? It appears to be a repunched date.  I have researched it as much as I can, and have not been able to find anything.

Thank You,

Ed

0-1885-ihc-lamination.thumb.JPG.ebeaf8ba95bc532fe6e678a120d4cb8d.JPG  0-1885-ihc-doubling-0.thumb.JPG.cfbed1104825d604086a16d17315767c.JPG1-1885-ihc-mirror-re.thumb.JPG.1fe2d139a87a0eb79ac8261fef175189.JPG1-1885-ihc-mirror-ob.thumb.JPG.26179f67db85032c55a1fa4664d9d9fe.JPG1-nomirror-re.thumb.JPG.09c2d47ed8f4c6f98939aa592555d298.JPG1-nomirror-ob.thumb.JPG.5c712b6ce324628445466e0649f7a9dc.JPG

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The lamination is something NGC will include on the label. You will need to check the box for Mint Error service, in addition to the grading tier fee.

The repunched date is a variety, but one too minor for NGC to attribute. The main reason for this is that it would likely not be visible on a worn coin or one having even the slightest buildup of debris around the date area.

Thank you very much for your reply. 

Would it be required that the mint error service is used?  Does the mint error service effect the ability in a positive manner to holder a coin like this at all?  Would the mint error designation be added if not chosen?

I would rather not have "mint error" on the label if possible.

Generally, how will such a lamination effect the grade?  Does it have a different effect as grade increases?

Could you provide any non-NGC reference for the die variety? 

I apologize for all of the questions, I am trying to understand the process. 

I truly appreciate your attention,

Ed

25 minutes ago, Revenant said:

Your photos are fantastic, I must say.

Thank You very much, The only credit I can take is that I made the right choice almost 20 yrs ago when I married the gal that took those images. She will be very happy to know that you noticed, and like them. I will pass the message along. She can capture the colors on a coin almost as good as anyone, even a proof, through a slab. To say I feel like I am lucky is an understatement.