• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Foreign coins are really nice looking

46 posts in this topic

I don't collect foreign coins,  but I have a few and really like how they look.  I don't think the grades are all that great,  but I just like looking at them.  What's your fav foreign coin to collect?  There so many it boggling

20190212_150459-01.jpeg

20190212_150610-01.jpeg

17 hours ago, BLive1972 said:

I don't collect foreign coins,  but I have a few and really like how they look.  I don't think the grades are all that great,  but I just like looking at them.  What's your fav foreign coin to collect?  There so many it boggling

20190212_150459-01.jpeg

20190212_150610-01.jpeg

It's really hard to tell grades by a photo as I cant see as well as with my loop but this one I'd say XF45-AU55 toned possibly a little higher

Now those are what I'm talking about!! Very beautiful coins BLive.  Like Mk, I do not collect any US coins myself.  My favorite country to collect from is Canada, with the Ottoman Empire and East Germany coming in tied for second place.  Thanks for sharing those.  From what you've posted, you have a very nice collection!

2 hours ago, Mohawk said:

Now those are what I'm talking about!! Very beautiful coins BLive.  Like Mk, I do not collect any US coins myself.  My favorite country to collect from is Canada, with the Ottoman Empire and East Germany coming in tied for second place.  Thanks for sharing those.  From what you've posted, you have a very nice collection!

Thanks Tom.  I should look into more Canadian coins because I do have several contacts there,  and I'm practically Canadian eh haha.  I constantly get CA change and it would just make sense. For now,  I'm just cherry picking what I like to look at wherever it's from.  France also has some good looking coins from what I've seen,  but I got a crush on the young Elizabeth's,  so I'll be looking for a good example.  

And then there's this little guy. Tough to photo and super small.  I'd prob go a little larger just to be able to see it without glasses,  but I like the look of these,  a lot.  

20190213_165525-02.jpeg

20190213_165659-01.jpeg

17 hours ago, Mk123 said:

I collect foreign coins only now due to the diverse variety and designs, love it and don't regret the choice!

I'll get there. I've seen so many,  but I have my eye on a few more.  Maybe some old French coins.  I'll keep my foreign collection small for now.  I have some classic US sets I'd like to build first.  I love Buffalo's and Merc's.  

8 hours ago, Capone1929 said:

It's really hard to tell grades by a photo as I cant see as well as with my loop but this one I'd say XF45-AU55 toned possibly a little higher

Not looking for a grade,  but good lookin out 👍 I think I bought it just as "fine". Worked for me :)

Hello all and how are you? This is A Nice1970 Royal Australian Mint Captain Cook commemorative (half dollar)(.50) I picked up recently, It is CirculatedAU++, however it appears prooflike with excellent flawless or near flawless obverse and Reverse superb pinwheels, luster, and eye appeal! I'm thinking MS64*-66??? But it's an inexpensive coin just like to collect nice specimens and I thought it was nice for being almost 50 years old n cool coin shape! 

20190213_152527.jpg

20190213_151642.jpg

I primarily focus on world coins now and I must admit it never ceases to amaze me how interesting some of the designs are. Recently I have really focused on Irish and English copper (pics below). There was a time I collected the large Canadian cents (1858-1920). I have always thought the Canadian designs were nice to look at.

1177136461_1788DrozOverall.thumb.jpg.2ef57597b815741ee59e53e78e7841a0.jpg1364291027_1742IrelandOverall.thumb.jpg.7d2a3cd9f9deff49a8e8b3abccda547f.jpg

5 minutes ago, coinsandmedals said:

I primarily focus on world coins now and I must admit it never ceases to amaze me how interesting some of the designs are. Recently I have really focused on Irish and English copper (pics below). There was a time I collected the large Canadian cents (1858-1920). I have always thought the Canadian designs were nice to look at.

1177136461_1788DrozOverall.thumb.jpg.2ef57597b815741ee59e53e78e7841a0.jpg1364291027_1742IrelandOverall.thumb.jpg.7d2a3cd9f9deff49a8e8b3abccda547f.jpg

Yeah I really like some Canada designs too, I agree on the Irish stuff too I have a few specimens, New Guinea and New Zealand have some really neat designs as well, have you ever checked those out?

4 minutes ago, Capone1929 said:

Yeah I really like some Canada designs too, I agree on the Irish stuff too I have a few specimens, New Guinea and New Zealand have some really neat designs as well, have you ever checked those out?

They really do! Before I took a break from coins my collection was all over the place. I never collected anything from New Guinea, but I had a pretty big collection of New Zealand pieces. I sold most before I had them graded and I regret that now. I also really enjoyed the Australian designs as well. 

1 hour ago, coinsandmedals said:

They really do! Before I took a break from coins my collection was all over the place. I never collected anything from New Guinea, but I had a pretty big collection of New Zealand pieces. I sold most before I had them graded and I regret that now. I also really enjoyed the Australian designs as well. 

Africa and US (issue) for foreign Countries Philippines n others The 🇺🇸minted for "I love those" and all coins as well as currency as a study and hobby! Some coins are just unacheivable, but my very favorite finds are the ones foreign and/or domestic and/or both I discover circulated bring me the greatest joy! Especially in XF plus condition! I Recently in my own change in circulation found an Australian platypus beauty! Pics coming soon! I enjoy speaking back and forth as well! Very Nice! I am a dues paid member Associate as well, just for GP, but NGC I RESPECT and respect all new old novice or doctorate members as well as non members! NGC a piece of mind! Yeah? Nice for the price!

Sincerely, Capone1929

100% Readable date looks like a clipped planchet error! I will dig out the find I found from Austrailia wow! Canada in US pretty common Austrailia not so much, but how is this for foreign and domestic! A silver Spanish Real from Louisiana Purchase History!

20190213_194716.jpg

20190213_194846.jpg

20190213_194812.jpg

8 hours ago, BLive1972 said:

There are for sure 👍 thanks for sharing

I just looked at these again, wow what beauties they rare in fantastic condition for the years of these ancient and old coins! Nice Nice n Nicer! Love em all!

Man, there's some good looking coins in this thread!  I have to say that everything that has been posted has been wonderful.  Thanks for sharing everyone, I think we've all enjoyed it!

8 hours ago, Mohawk said:

Man, there's some good looking coins in this thread!  I have to say that everything that has been posted has been wonderful.  Thanks for sharing everyone, I think we've all enjoyed it!

I agree.  This can get dangerous with all this exposure 😂

Boy, there are some really beautiful coins posted here. Backing up the original posters claim, big time.....

As a child,I was almost amazed that world coins existed. On my 9th or 10th birthday, my mom took me to a coin shop and let me pick out 10 world coins from the bargain bin. I think they were a dime a piece. I went for unusual shapes or animals. The Liberia dime with the elephant on it was a quick favorite.

On 2/13/2019 at 8:10 PM, Capone1929 said:

Africa and US (issue) for foreign Countries Philippines n others The 🇺🇸minted for "I love those" and all coins as well as currency as a study and hobby! Some coins are just unacheivable, but my very favorite finds are the ones foreign and/or domestic and/or both I discover circulated bring me the greatest joy! Especially in XF plus condition! I Recently in my own change in circulation found an Australian platypus beauty! Pics coming soon! I enjoy speaking back and forth as well! Very Nice! I am a dues paid member Associate as well, just for GP, but NGC I RESPECT and respect all new old novice or doctorate members as well as non members! NGC a piece of mind! Yeah? Nice for the price!

Sincerely, Capone1929

Yeah…there was a time when I collected Philippines coins as well. Like I said, my collection was all over the place because I bought what I thought looked cool without any real goals for my collection. It is so easy to do that, but the issue is that you end up with an endless number of unfinished projects. I share your enthusiasm for finding foreign coins in change. I recently went to Starbucks to get my wife coffee before her afternoon class and I received a 1998 Lesotho 5 Maloti in change. The odd part is that I live in a small town in Mississippi. I have no idea how it found its way into circulation here. The coin is not worth much, but I think it is cool.

There are some very nice coins in this thread! I always love seeing what other people collect because there are so many different possibilities within foreign coins.

Here are some pictures of the other graded coins in my collection. 

1682 Overall.jpg

1797 Penny Overall.jpg

1805 Overall.jpg

1806 Overall.jpg

1696 Overall.jpg