• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Full steps ???

6 posts in this topic

The photo does not show a sharp enough view of the steps, leaving the question is to whether the dark areas are shadows or contain breaks. But right off hand I see a flattened spot on the right center of the staircase that probably means no FS.

ItCould you explain "impaired proof" . This coin has no mint mark . It does have a high luster. I received this in change from local filling station in South St Louis recently. Been collecting error  Lincoln cents for 25+ years . This nickle really stood out where I temporarily empty my pockets of change  before inspection at a later date. It is really nice for 60+ years in a cash register. Thank you

IMG_20181106_232321.jpg

It hasn't spent 60 years in cash registers, it spent those years in a collection or hoard and entered circulation recently.

By impaired proof I mean this is a proof coin that was made intended to be sold as part of a set to collectors, which has been removed from the set and spent (yes it DOES happen) and has now picked up some wear, marks, and/or other impairments.  The term is almost always used when referring to proof coins that have been recovered from circulation.  The most recent picture even more fimly convinces me this is an impaired proof.

I think Conder is probably right about it being an impaired proof. For the OP, what this means is that it's a circulated proof. The normal proof grading scale parallels the MS scale from 60-70; however, there are circulated proofs that grade PF-50 or even as low as PF-45 (below that, I think it's no longer treated as a proof even though it once was). If yours is a circulated proof, I suspect PF-50 would be a fair grade, perhaps PF-53. And that is indeed very nice for its age and time spent bouncing around in change.