• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1845 Seated Liberty 1945/45?

8 posts in this topic

• I found this 1845 Dime is a plastic bin at my local coin shop & was about to list this coin on EBay to sell before I checked the date and GLAD I DID!
  • I have found that this date is re-punched. However, I can't tell what date this thing is re-punched with???
  • I called PCGS and they refuse to recognize this and holster this coin with the variety.
  • I am now on this site because I have seen this variety recognized by NGC. I have never had a coin graded and now have amassed a good collection of RAW coins and am thinking of having this coin graded. My question to you more experienced collectors is:
  1. Even though this coin may grade out low is it worth it to grade strictly on the variety issue?
  2. Do I need to pay the $25 to have it graded.
  3. The submission sheet to have it graded if I choose to do so, it seems very complicated and would not know where to start. I think NGC has some opportunities to streamline the submission process...Just my opinion though. I think this scares a lot of new collectors from submitting because of the arduous process of "tiers" 
  4. So if someone could elaborate on the membership benefits and this particular coin and the worth of this coin, if possible, would be a great help and appreciative!
  5. Last'y, I have checked and it seems there is a very low population of this variety which is leading me to believe I just found my first "cheery picker".

IMG_3196.jpg

IMG_3198.jpg

IMG_3221.JPG

IMG_3225.jpg

IMG_3227.jpg

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

That's actually a half dime, and you'll find it here:

https://www.ngccoin.com/variety-plus/united-states/half-dimes/seated-liberty-half-dimes-1837-1873/816402/

NGC will attribute that variety, but it requires the $15 VarietyPlus fee in addition to the grading fee.

I have never submitted a coin..Obviously the coin would not grade n the MS realm, would running it though NCS help that? Secondly looking at the tiers It seems I have to grade the coin before I submit it or attribute a dollar amount to it which is the purpose of submitting it...How would I go about doing this with about a week turn around, would NCS be a good decision, and how would I begin to fill this form out not knowing what the coin is worth???? 

Anything less than a Walkthrough submission is unlikely to be turned around in one week with a stop first at NCS. The coin certainly is not worth enough to justify that top tier, so you should just submit it to NCS for conservation, grading and variety attribution. The grading tier used will be based on your declared value, and we can't provide that to you. It will be your decision, but keep in find that going through two companies will result in a time frame of 4-5 weeks.

This is a repunched date 1845/5, sometimes called 1845/3 which it is not.  It is not that scarce a variety, and I believe it will cost you more to certify it than it is worth.  A nicer one sold on ebay recently for $31.

22 hours ago, Conder101 said:

This is a repunched date 1845/5, sometimes called 1845/3 which it is not.  It is not that scarce a variety, and I believe it will cost you more to certify it than it is worth.  A nicer one sold on ebay recently for $31.

You are very diligent and I enjoy reading your posts....very accurate and I value your opinions.....interesting, I used to own the MS-62 Stacks sold...before the overdate drama...I think the author changed it in the cherrypickers guide or correction then it was....2011 or something? Anyway, I noticed your comment on the /3..(over 3), I'm assuming you remember trying to educate people about that many years before 2011...take care...

On 2/15/2019 at 8:51 AM, DWLange said:

Anything less than a Walkthrough submission is unlikely to be turned around in one week with a stop first at NCS. The coin certainly is not worth enough to justify that top tier, so you should just submit it to NCS for conservation, grading and variety attribution. The grading tier used will be based on your declared value, and we can't provide that to you. It will be your decision, but keep in find that going through two companies will result in a time frame of 4-5 weeks.

I know this sounds ignorant but how can I attribute a value to it while I'm in fact submitting it for a grade, which by proxy will determine it's grade? This is my first time submitting and I have a VAM Morgan that I am also submitting. That very point is what has me confused on how the fee's are assessed...If I dont have a grade for the coin, the how can I determine a fair market value?

Well, the Cherrypickers' Guide lists this variety at $27 in VG, $45 in F and $70 in VF. You'll have to do some basic grading of your own to determine where it falls in that range.