• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Raw Buffalo's. Looking for good resources.

30 posts in this topic

... Or do I want to get into slabbed? I don't know just yet,  but I have a handful of common and a few decent dates.  I'm just looking for any additional resources. I have a few colorful ones,  but looking for good upgrade options. Thanks!! A couple I own. 

20190115_142641-01.jpeg

20190115_142717-01.jpeg

I absolutely LOVE the 16! It's nice to see natural toning with all the that is hitting Ebay lately. Those are some gorgeous Buffalo's you have.

Personally, I holder the coins I am going to sell and my "keepers" stay raw. I don't really care what someone else thinks about what I like. 

The service of TPG's is fantastic to assure a potential buyer of the quality of what I am offering. 

Just my opinion. 

It's the wild west in this market for toned coins, the doctors are pumping out colorful coins each and every day many of which are finding their way into slabs.  Not even the best TPG's can stay ahead of the AT game anymore, having said that buying toned coins in a top tier TPG slab reduces your risk of ending up with a collection of AT'd coins.  I don't collect buffs so no help with your question other than to say that I've heard good things about JJ Teaparty in the past for raw coins, nice looking start you have going and good luck finding some new additions.

I don't have any useful information for you. I just have to say that those Buffs are stunning and congratulate you on having them.

I like toned coins as well.  I'm usually not a fan of Buffalo Nickels but yours are very pleasing to the eye and have a great, natural look.  I really like how the 1937 looks.  They're all great, but that one really stands out to me.  The 1913 would be my second favorite.  As far as resources, I sadly can't help you much there.  But I'd say that you have a great eye for selecting naturally toned coins......keep using it and honing it.  Your own eyes and brain can be resources in their own right.  Thanks for sharing those with us, I think we've all enjoyed them!

Cheers!

~Tom

1 hour ago, Coinbuf said:

It's the wild west in this market for toned coins, the doctors are pumping out colorful coins each and every day many of which are finding their way into slabs.  Not even the best TPG's can stay ahead of the AT game anymore, having said that buying toned coins in a top tier TPG slab reduces your risk of ending up with a collection of AT'd coins.  I don't collect buffs so no help with your question other than to say that I've heard good things about JJ Teaparty in the past for raw coins, nice looking start you have going and good luck finding some new additions.

Theres one guy on eBay I with I could stop.  edynamicmarketing.  I hate what he does to coins.  I try to stick with buying from older collectors.  Most if mine come from a local coin ship where no premium is put on a "tarnished" Coin and I like it that way.  

1 minute ago, BLive1972 said:

Theres one guy on eBay I with I could stop.  edynamicmarketing.  I hate what he does to coins.  I try to stick with buying from older collectors.  Most if mine come from a local coin ship where no premium is put on a "tarnished" Coin and I like it that way.  

Oh that freakin' guy.......he's terrible.  He's one of those sellers that makes it hard on those of us who are honest and sell good coins on eBay.  I've reported him numerous times, but he just keeps on keeping on and selling garbage to unsuspecting new collectors.  I don't even want to think about how many coins he's destroyed over the years.  I think he knows right where the line is with eBay and he goes right up to it without going over.

1 hour ago, JKK said:

I don't have any useful information for you. I just have to say that those Buffs are stunning and congratulate you on having them.

I appreciate that.  Thank you

2 hours ago, Mohawk said:

I like toned coins as well.  I'm usually not a fan of Buffalo Nickels but yours are very pleasing to the eye and have a great, natural look.  I really like how the 1937 looks.  They're all great, but that one really stands out to me.  The 1913 would be my second favorite.  As far as resources, I sadly can't help you much there.  But I'd say that you have a great eye for selecting naturally toned coins......keep using it and honing it.  Your own eyes and brain can be resources in their own right.  Thanks for sharing those with us, I think we've all enjoyed them!

Cheers!

~Tom

Tom.  I not all for the outrageous "monster" toned coins. I just grab the ones that have just enough to make it eye appealing to me. Some are definitely more subtle than others.  I've never been into Buffalo's until I moved to the Nickel city 👌 The more I looked at them,  the more I appreciated. I'm happy that you enjoyed them. Thanks for the kind comments!!! 

4 hours ago, Coinbuf said:

I had no idea this site even existed.  Thank you.  

@BLive1972

I was at my dealer's the other day and saw a 1916-S Buffalo in MS63 with beautiful, subtle, multi-colored pastel toning. I'm far from an expert, but it sure looked natural to me.  It made me think of your coins and how nice it would fit nicely with them. I think it was in those other guy's holder, priced at $825. 

If it was of any interest to you I'm pretty sure I could get pictures and a cert#.  They are an NGC authorized dealer, actually not that far from Buffalo, NY.

14 hours ago, Edthelorax said:

@BLive1972

I was at my dealer's the other day and saw a 1916-S Buffalo in MS63 with beautiful, subtle, multi-colored pastel toning. I'm far from an expert, but it sure looked natural to me.  It made me think of your coins and how nice it would fit nicely with them. I think it was in those other guy's holder, priced at $825. 

If it was of any interest to you I'm pretty sure I could get pictures and a cert#.  They are an NGC authorized dealer, actually not that far from Buffalo, NY.

Thank you.  Just looking for raw at the moment,  but if you happen to stumble upon picture 😁

10 minutes ago, BLive1972 said:

... And tomorrow there's a coin show,  so I'm stoked to hopefully sell a bunch and add one or 2 😁

In Buffalo? My club shares a show with another club, it's the PennNY show in Jamestown NY March 24.

43 minutes ago, BLive1972 said:

Do you guys think the scar on his face makes this Buffalo any less attractive?  I was thinking about replacing it, but it's growing on me. Thx

20190214_181757-01.jpeg

20190214_181919-01.jpeg

I think it makes it slightly less attractive, but it would have to be something pretty special to replace that one, it's a beauty. I wouldn't bother if I found one exactly like it, minus the scar.  JMHO

1 hour ago, Edthelorax said:

I think it makes it slightly less attractive, but it would have to be something pretty special to replace that one, it's a beauty. I wouldn't bother if I found one exactly like it, minus the scar.  JMHO

Thanks for your opinion.  It'll prob hold that spot until I can find one that looks similar. It definitely still has some eye appeal. 

Slim pickins at the BNA coin show yesterday. I was a little disappointed by the lack of raw Buffalo nickles. It seems that many people dont collect these and if they do, they're just nickel clean or collected in good-fine. It was tough, but I wanted to leave with something besides a Morgan dollar. These were the nicest I could find , and I was ready to spend, so I left with a pocket full of cash. 

Has anyone ever been to the ANA National money show in Pittsburgh? Do you think it's worth the 3.5 hr drive? Thanks!

I know I can find a better 38 D, but it was a good deal and matches another Buffalo :)

20190218_155314-01.jpeg

20190218_155353-01.jpeg