Break from collecting. Hello again.
0

27 posts in this topic

658 posts

Just wanted to say hello.  Took a long break,  and slowly getting back into collecting.  I have a new eye for toned  mercury dimes,  Buffalo nickles and Morgan dollars,  but most of my good toned ones have been sold long ago.  I mainly have several common lower grade Morgan's in rattler holders. 

I'm just taking a look around to see who's still here and what's changed.  Hope all is well with everyone.  

Before I post,  I'm wondering where's the best place to post a possible Jefferson error?  Are there any collector's of those here?  I can't seem to find a good answer.  I have something posted in the Newby area,  but I'm not sure how much ATTN that area gets.  

Link:  

 

Edited by BLive1972

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,511 posts

Hello and Welcome back!

The boards have changed some, but mostly for the better I'd say.  We have a pretty good group here now.  It can be a little slow at times, though.  It sounds like you are classic US collector.  There are many here, though I am not one of them.  I collect Canadian, late Ottoman Empire and early East German, mostly in that order :).  I also have a couple of thematic custom sets that are temporarily on hold until I see the new format that NGC unveils for that side of the Registry.  I think you could probably post you Jefferson error right in this forum.  As far as if there any Jefferson error collectors here, I don't know.  I haven't seen anyone mention that specifically, but there could be some.

Cheers!

~Tom

Edited by Mohawk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,128 posts

Two funny…

Not until just this moment did I put to and too twogether,

and realized that Mohawk's actual name is Tom, and it follows,

therefore, that Tom Mohawk makes complete sense!

Tomahawks, reading just now in the Wiki Dictionary, and of which I had forgotten, were also pipes for smoking tobacco, and who knows what else.

As Arte Johnson used to say on Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In, "Verrrry interesting…"

Welcome back, BLive1972!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
658 posts
1 hour ago, Mohawk said:

Hello and Welcome back!

The boards have changed some, but mostly for the better I'd say.  We have a pretty good group here now.  It can be a little slow at times, though.  It sounds like you are classic US collector.  There are many here, though I am not one of them.  I collect Canadian, late Ottoman Empire and early East German, mostly in that order :).  I also have a couple of thematic custom sets that are temporarily on hold until I see the new format that NGC unveils for that side of the Registry.  I think you could probably post you Jefferson error right in this forum.  As far as are there any Jefferson error collectors here, I don't know.  I haven't seen anyone mention that specifically, but there could be some.

Cheers!

~Tom

Thanks Tom! I have a couple Canadian coins,  but only a 1919 5c and a 1918 large woody cent. I'm not sure how anyone carried those early nickles around lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,927 posts

Hi!

Glad to see people circling back to the hobby. I was away for an extended period when you were active on the boards previously (you joined in 2012, I was most active from 07-09).

- William

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,511 posts
2 hours ago, USAuPzlBxBob said:

Two funny…

Not until just this moment did I put to and too twogether,

and realized that Mohawk's actual name is Tom, and it follows,

therefore, that Tom Mohawk makes complete sense!

Tomahawks, reading just now in the Wiki Dictionary, and of which I had forgotten, were also pipes for smoking tobacco, and who knows what else.

As Arte Johnson used to say on Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In, "Verrrry interesting…"

Welcome back, BLive1972!

 

You know, I never really thought of how my name and my board name interacted before.....it is pretty funny.  I just used the name because I dig the Gremlins movies, as you can clearly see from my avatar and Mohawk is my favorite gremlin from the series.  So he became my online identity and my avatar.   However, I'm not a tomahawk kind of guy as I am a non-violent non-smoker, so I have no use for either kind unless a zombie apocalypse really does happen.......then I may want one of the nasty axe variety :).  Funny observation though Bob!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,511 posts
1 hour ago, BLive1972 said:

Thanks Tom! I have a couple Canadian coins,  but only a 1919 5c and a 1918 large woody cent. I'm not sure how anyone carried those early nickles around lol

I hear you.  They are so small, and I misplace things all of the time.  As 5 cents was worth much more then than it is now, constantly losing those would have been pretty bad for my bank account had I lived then!  Those would have been a scary coin for a guy like me!  I don't even collect them because I'm afraid of losing them and some of them are worth some serious bucks!

Edited by Mohawk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,917 posts

Welcome back, BLive. Looking forward to seeing the toners that you pick up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/10/2019 at 1:56 PM, Mohawk said:

Hello and Welcome back!

The boards have changed some, but mostly for the better I'd say.  We have a pretty good group here now.  It can be a little slow at times, though.  It sounds like you are classic US collector.  There are many here, though I am not one of them.  I collect Canadian, late Ottoman Empire and early East German, mostly in that order :).  I also have a couple of thematic custom sets that are temporarily on hold until I see the new format that NGC unveils for that side of the Registry.  I think you could probably post you Jefferson error right in this forum.  As far as if there any Jefferson error collectors here, I don't know.  I haven't seen anyone mention that specifically, but there could be some.

Cheers!

~Tom

Tom -

I was reading this thread when I realized you're not located too far from me depending upon where you are in the Finger Lakes.  Small world indeed!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
658 posts
1 hour ago, Weidel Legacy Collection said:

Tom -

I was reading this thread when I realized you're not located too far from me depending upon where you are in the Finger Lakes.  Small world indeed!

 Nice.  I'm in Buffalo 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
658 posts

Few familiar names here.  I see Mark Feld is still here as well.  The last coin I bought from anyone here was from him and it was awesome. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,511 posts
1 hour ago, Weidel Legacy Collection said:

Tom -

I was reading this thread when I realized you're not located too far from me depending upon where you are in the Finger Lakes.  Small world indeed!

Hi,

I'm actually in Newark, NY myself.  I don't know if that's still technically in the Finger Lakes or not......I was based in Canandaigua when I made my profile and I figure close enough now.  I think I'm probably about 40 miles from you :) and to BLive1972, my fiancee's cousin lives in Buffalo......small world indeed!

~Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
658 posts
13 minutes ago, Mohawk said:

Hi,

I'm actually in Newark, NY myself.  I don't know if that's still technically in the Finger Lakes or not......I was based in Canandaigua when I made my profile and I figure close enough now.  I think I'm probably about 40 miles from you :) and to BLive1972, my fiancee's cousin lives in Buffalo......small world indeed!

~Tom

Cool little city.  Been about 6 yrs now. Definitely not like where I was living in NJ. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,511 posts
Just now, BLive1972 said:

Cool little city.  Been about 6 yrs now. Definitely not like where I was living in NJ. 

Yeah, Buffalo is a cool little city.  Nick (my fiancee's cousin) really likes living there.  Unfortunately, I haven't gotten to spend much time in Buffalo for the sake of hanging out there.....mostly going through it on my way toward the border to Canada.  I'll have to endeavor to change that.  Do you know of any cool coin shops in Buffalo?  If so, I'd love to know about them!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
658 posts
6 minutes ago, Mohawk said:

Yeah, Buffalo is a cool little city.  Nick (my fiancee's cousin) really likes living there.  Unfortunately, I haven't gotten to spend much time in Buffalo for the sake of hanging out there.....mostly going through it on my way toward the border to Canada.  I'll have to endeavor to change that.  Do you know of any cool coin shops in Buffalo?  If so, I'd love to know about them!

Yeah,  there's one a few minutes from me http://www.hbrcoins.com (Harold B. Rice) There also the Buffalo Numismatic Association who hosts monthly shows. I also drive about an hr sw to the Salamanca antique mall. It's a massive space where dealers leave cases full for you to browse.  Sometimes I find an ok coin,  but you have to get there when they renew.  There's a show in Toronto that I'd like to hit up too.  I'm sure there's coin shops there,  but I haven't been even though I can walk to Canada in 10 min :)

Edited by BLive1972

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
658 posts

I didn't know I can "react" too much :) I tried to like some things and got yelled at 😁 I'll have to browse the new rules

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,511 posts
1 minute ago, BLive1972 said:

Yeah,  there's one a few minutes from me http://www.hbrcoins.com (Harold B. Rice) There also the Buffalo Numismatic Association who hosts monthly shows. I also drive about an hr sw to the Salamanca antique mall. It's a massive space where dealers leave cases full for you to browse.  Sometimes I find an ok coin,  but you have to get there when they renew.  There's a show in Toronto that I'd like to hit up too.  I'm sure there's coin shops there,  but I haven't been even though I can walk to Canada in 10 min :)

That's all great info to know.  I hit Ontario Mall Antiques in Farmington, which I believe is associated with the Salamanca mall.  I've never been to that one, but I've heard basically what you just said.....you can find good coins, but you have to be there when they're first put out.  My dad and stepmom get out to the Salamanca Mall fairly often.  They like it, but they collect all sorts of things.  Of great interest to me, there's a newer seller at Ontario Mall Antiques who seems to specialize in Canadian......which is my main collecting area!  I've picked up some very nice cameo Proof Like coins there as well as some great Canadian paper money.  And the Toronto show.....I've wanted to hit that one up for years being a Canadian collector, but I could get myself in a lot of trouble at that show!! But in all seriousness though, I'd like to get up to that one once I'm done with my doctoral dissertation, which will hopefully be later this year.  It's hard to plan trips like that when you're a grad student......lots of research, writing and deadlines and my fiancee and I are both in that boat right now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
658 posts

Plate full lol You're doing right by placing focus where it belongs 👍 It's a dangerous show to hit indeed.  I just usually browse the local a BNA shows.  The dealers can be a bit pricy though. I like going to the coin shop because he can be fair.  He's all I have haha.  I think he's better to buy from, than sell too to be honest. When I first moved here I got laid off and he ended up with a lot of awesome coins that I paid premiums for,  but he's old school.  A pretty rainbow isn't blast white so....  He didn't rip me off,  but I wasn't smiling.  I'd hit him up if you're planning on a visit. And the best of luck to both you 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,511 posts

Oh yeah....our plates are very full right now! But it's what we have to do to have good career prospects and fulfilling careers for the rest of our lives.  As I'm earning a Doctor of Higher Education Leadership and she's earning a Doctor of Computer Science, I think that we're moving in good directions both financially and as far as having careers we'll enjoy and where we can make a difference.  There are some dealers who are like that.....great to buy from, but not so great to sell to.  I've known a couple of those in my time.  If you ever get down to our neck of the woods, I'd check out PDS Coins in Shortsville.  They're our favorite dealer and they're great guys on top of that. It's run by a father and son team and one of the son's best friends.  They're a really great shop....it's crazy that such a great shop with very diverse stock is in a small town like Shortsville, but they are.  Their web presence is rather modest, but here's their site:

https://pdscoins.com/

Steve (the main owner) is a very active buyer when his other business ventures allow him to be (he also owns a construction company), he goes around to auctions, estate sales all over the place, so the stock is usually pretty fresh, which is awesome.

I've gotten many of my best cameo Proof Likes from them and my fiancee has gotten many coins for her Great Britain type set there. 

Thanks for the kind words and the well wishes!

Cheers!

~Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for sharing about the coin shop in Shortsville - it's not too far from me and looks like it would be a great place to pay a visit to.  My wife and I have stayed at several B&B's around Canandaigua and like to go antiquing to places like the Ontario Mall Antiques and other smaller places. Sometime you luck into coins, but typically we find other things that we collect together.  It's a great area to visit - and, what's better is all the wineries (and now craft breweries) that dot the Finger Lakes.  Awesome area to spend a long weekend!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
658 posts
19 minutes ago, Weidel Legacy Collection said:

Thanks for sharing about the coin shop in Shortsville - it's not too far from me and looks like it would be a great place to pay a visit to.  My wife and I have stayed at several B&B's around Canandaigua and like to go antiquing to places like the Ontario Mall Antiques and other smaller places. Sometime you luck into coins, but typically we find other things that we collect together.  It's a great area to visit - and, what's better is all the wineries (and now craft breweries) that dot the Finger Lakes.  Awesome area to spend a long weekend!

I like to visit Watkins Glen for a hike.  Beautiful area.  The views from some of the wineries is also a highlight of that area. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,367 posts

Welcome back BLive1972.  It looks like you and I joined here about the same time.  I haven't participated on these boards in the last few years.  I've been on another site (not ATS though).  I've learned a lot since I joined this hobby in 2012 and still have a lot to learn.

I viewed your circulated Merc thread.  You have some real beauties there.  I look forward to seeing more of your collection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,511 posts
On 2/12/2019 at 7:52 AM, Weidel Legacy Collection said:

Thanks for sharing about the coin shop in Shortsville - it's not too far from me and looks like it would be a great place to pay a visit to.  My wife and I have stayed at several B&B's around Canandaigua and like to go antiquing to places like the Ontario Mall Antiques and other smaller places. Sometime you luck into coins, but typically we find other things that we collect together.  It's a great area to visit - and, what's better is all the wineries (and now craft breweries) that dot the Finger Lakes.  Awesome area to spend a long weekend!

Hey WLC,

Yeah, PDS Coins is pretty awesome!  They often have some of everything.  They have lots of US coins, of course, but they often have some diverse World offerings as well.  My fiancee has been able to find some pretty sweet British stuff there and I've done very well with Canadian there.  As I mentioned on the boards somewhere, I've gotten many of my nicest Cameo Proof Like coins, which are my main area of collecting interest, from them.  Canandaigua's a pretty nice little city.  My mom, dad and sister still live there and I visit as frequently as I can.  The only thing I didn't like about living there was how busy it gets in the summer sometimes.  I'm not a fan of crowds, and on certain weeks in the summer it can be hard just to get your grocery shopping done, let alone do anything fun.  So when my fiancee and I got our own place, we moved to her hometown of Newark and we rent the cutest little apartment from her great aunt....it's the top floor of a house built in 1850 right outside the village proper.  We get to enjoy the beauty of nature and the quiet but it's still only 5 minutes to get to Wegmans.  I also like being able to visit Canandaigua without actually living there now.  All of the advantages, none of the summer B.S. if I don't want to deal with it :)   My fiancee definitely agrees with you on the wineries however, I myself do not drink alcohol.  I have high blood pressure, which runs in my family, and my doctor doesn't want me mixing alcohol with my medication....apparently both my blood pressure and my liver wouldn't like that too much, so I live vicariously through my fiancee there now.  What kind of things do you and your wife collect together, if I may inquire?

Cheers!

~Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
0