• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New to collecting and want to start with WW2

6 posts in this topic

So I am new to collecting coins but have always been interested WW2.  I am looking to collect coins from all countries involved and preferably ones with detailed engravings.  Any suggestions as to where I should start?  I do have a Walking Liberty, steel penny and a British halfpenny.

Hello and Welcome!

I think your idea to collect coins from all of the nations in World War II would be a great project, but it's going to be rather large.  There were a lot of nations who ended up fighting on the Allied side by the time the war ended, and both Nazi Germany and the Empire of Japan had a lot of conquered territories and satellite and puppet states.  What I would do is start by making a list of all of the nations that you would need coins from and then take a look around this site:

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pays.php

This is a great World coin catalog, with a lot of information, including photos and mintages.  Our hosts provide a price guide for World coins here:

https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/world/

Then, once you've figured out which coins you want from which nations and fair prices for those coins, go shopping!  Check out dealers, both in brick and mortar shops and online.  It's fun to go shopping for a project! I'd like to close with a recommendation for your set.  Canada is one of the main countries I collect from and it is actually the country I collect the most from.  A World War II era issue from Canada I've always enjoyed is the 1942 Tombac 5 Cents.  I don't currently own one (I'm looking, but I'm picky), so here it is on Numista:

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces412.html

There's a 1943 version as well, but with a different reverse. I've always enjoyed the Tombac 5 cent coins......they just look so different than the regular issue, so they really stand out.

I think you've got a great idea!  I hope that this was of some help.

Cheers!

~Tom

9 minutes ago, Lancek said:

Research auctioneers in your area.  You see a lot of estates with coin collections.  They don't always have a lot of foreign coins.  But if they do you can usually pick them up for a very reasonable price.  Lot's of our service members brought coins home as souvenirs.  Many of those have hit the market as WW2 vets die off.  As a new collector I stumbled on a bag of over 50 German coins.  From the 20s to the mid 40s.  I think I spent $15.  Nothing real valuable.  But my wife and I had a lot of fun researching them.

Auction zip is a good place to search for sales in your area.

That's also good advice.  I didn't think of that but, then again, I don't usually find auctions enjoyable.  Just a personal preference.

You can find a ton of interesting WWII coins cheap in bargain bins. Lots of occupation money; colonial and exile issues; puppet regimes like Vichy, and even the impact on the neutrals due to metal shortages. Most countries' coinage changed during the war and it very much tells a story.

I collected U.S. African Notes we paid are troops with and then collected coins that the U.S. Struck for other Countries involved in WW2...Interesting area and you won't be let down, I learned so much. You can take this deeper down the rabbit hole with many little known facts pertaining to Numismatics of this era.

Swiss Gold was one of the highlights of my endeavors here and wrong planchet errors, extremely high grade Aluminum Coins and Jewish Medals and Ghetto Money...Very interesting and deep. I also got involved with Nazi errors and made a trip overseas in Late 1990's...some of the most rewarding times in the Wonderful World of Coins for me.....peace 

A book you might want to pick up, World War Two Remembered: History in your hands, a numismatic study, by Fred Swann and Joe Boling.  It is a catalog of all things numismatic issued during WWII.  Problem is it isn't cheap, about $70 is the cheapest I've seen for a used copy.  It's 863 pages.  More information has been discovered since the book came out in 1995 but this is still the best all in one source.