• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help identifying a 1921 peace dollar

7 posts in this topic

Hi, new here and also new collecting.

I'm wondering if any of you guys can help with grading this peace dollar and helping me determine if it's a matte or satin proof struck vam? I'm on the fence about if I should send it it to be graded and if it will even be recognized as such if it is. 

20190202_150919.jpg

Hello and Welcome!

Well, in looking at your photos, you don't have a matte or satin proof.  This is unsurprising as these are very rare.  However, you do have a very nice business strike of a better date in the Peace Dollar series, but it's hard for me to grade it from the photos.  The first photo of the obverse seems to show some kind of residue or toning, I cannot tell which, that may hurt the grade if it is residue.  As far as VAMs go, I'm not qualified to speak to that.  I do not collect nor sell classic US coins, so I'm unfamiliar with VAMs.  Maybe another member will be able to help you there.  If what is going on with the obverse isn't some kind of residue or surface contaminant, you've got a nice key date on your hands that would likely be worth submitting to NGC.

I am far from an expert on any of this and have never sent anything to be graded so feel free to totally disregard. That said, I would not send it in. Why? Well I've been told that generally 1 scratch and it's an MS-63 coin.there are many scratches on your coin as well as the wear on her hair. If it were my coin I'd grade it between AU-55 and MS-60. 

On the other hand, it is the 1st year Peace and therefore a key-date and does demand a premium.

Idk what it costs to send one in but a Peace Dollar from 1921 in AU/MS condition should get you anywhere from $150-500. Ok yeah, I'd probably send it in for that. Lol!

That's an exceptionally sharp strike. Peace dollars had a lot of weak strikes so it's fun to look at one that has nearly all the detail the designer meant us to enjoy. It's not a proof, but I think it's a 62-63 (the bag marks and what looks like the surface issue). I think people would pay a bit more for it than either of those grades because those do not require a sharp strike, and it has one--perhaps even a full strike. Great coin.