Grading estimate?
1 1

11 posts in this topic

244 posts

I bought a 1917 Standing Lib type 1 at an auction last week.  It is an auction I sometimes drive to.  But with subzero temps, I bid from the couch.  They always put the coins in cardboard flips and write an estimated grade on it.  I've found them to be conservative with their estimates.  Sometimes too conservative.

They had it listed as XF.  From the pics I thought it was better than that.  And now that I have it in hand I think it's better than that.  But I would love to get a few more opinions.  Of course I know it's only an estimate.  My feeling is 55.  Thanks!

front.thumb.jpg.057a130ea468b4a75a5d8ba5790556f8.jpgback.thumb.jpg.7b08f884fb317a4f9354bfc068b1fcc4.jpgclose.thumb.jpg.2d95c09d8c7f854542cf69589f6da6be.jpg

2,866 posts

I'm going to say AU 53.....there's just a little too much weakness on her gown above the knee for me to feel comfortable with 55.  But, still an AU 53 at an XF price is a pretty good score! Kudos!  However, I should throw out the disclaimer that I've been told I can be overly mean in grading classic US.  I've been accused of "grading Classic US with an Ottoman or Canadian eye".  I also do not collect nor sell classic US coins.  I endeavored to be fair, however.  I broke out the old Photograde book and everything. So, I feel comfortable with my AU 53.

Edited by Mohawk

13,135 posts

I’d guess AU50, possibly AU53. It might just be the imaging, but I’m not seeing luster.

Edited by MarkFeld

2,866 posts
3 minutes ago, MarkFeld said:

I’d guess AU50, possibly AU53. It might just be the imaging, but I’m not seeing luster.

Interesting note on the luster Mark, and you make a good point.  I was just considering the details and the quality of the photo......it's possible that there is no luster present, which would knock it down to AU50 in my estimation as well.  But if there is luster, I'd still say 53.  Maybe Lancek would be kind enough to enlighten us regarding the remaining luster, if there is any......

2,361 posts

The cool thing about that SLQ is that the original strike was excellent. So often we are faced with SLQs that never struck up fully to begin with, but that one began life as a FH in my opinion.

5,406 posts

I'm in the "where did the luster go?" camp. But at least AU53, if the luster is there. 

244 posts

Unfortunately I'm not very good at determining luster on toned coins.  But that's why I'm here, to learn.

6,928 posts

Man I would love to see that one in hand..

244 posts
3 hours ago, MAULEMALL said:

Man I would love to see that one in hand..

I really like it.  Even if it wouldn't grade out as high as I had hoped.  The details are great.  And the toning really makes the design pop.